The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I am a new member and need help. Also I am not a mechanic so I REALLY need help.
I just purchased a 1999 F350 Crew Cab diesel and I was drivinf along at speed and the truck just lost power and died. I tried unsuccessfully to re-start it.
The engines cranks strong, but no ignition. Seems as though it's out of fuel. I have over 1/2 a tank though.
Just prior to buying the truck the prior owner told me this same thing happened to him and he had it towed to his mechanic who replaced the fuel pump. I picked the truck up 2 days after the pump was replaced.

I have had the truck for 2 weeks and driven over 650 miles. Well today while driving I made a sudden turn and about 200 yards later the truck died.

What I did notice that was odd, was that now the WTS light doesn't come on when I turn the key to the "ON" position.

Any help would be appreciated.
PS: The truck was a pure joy to drive and own until this happened. So much power for towing.

·
Premium Member
14,525 Posts
1999 F350 7.3 died and wont start

Unplug the fuel heater on the back of the fuel filter housing, replace fuse #30 and start it up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
It sounds like your fuel bowl heater has shorted out. Check your fuses and unplug the heater on the rear of the filter bowl.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a similar
My early 99 F350 was idling when I went in for a subway sandwich and when I came out it was very quiet. Would turn over great but no starting.
Had it towed.
Ended up being the fuel heater mounted on the frame near the drivers seat.
Another possibility for ya

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The fuel filter housing .......
Open the hood. There is the black plastic emblem badge right in the middle. The fuel filter housing is the cylinder looking thing under it. Climb up top and look down the rearside of it. You will see a plastic yellow handle, which is the drain for the water separator (for future knowledge), but just to the right of that is a connector. That is the fuel heater. Unplug it.

The fuse would be located under the dash

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the fuse panel under the steering column, and true indeed the #30 fuse was blown.
Going to look for the fuel heater connector tomorrow after this snow stops.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Might want to grab you a micro-guard filter (with the lid) while you're in there. Some filters come with the lid attached, not the micro-guard, and makes it more of a pain to install...trying to press it down while tightening.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
14,525 Posts
Sorry - went to bed :sleep: earlier than these party animals so I didn't get back to you on your questions. :wiggle::elephant:

The fuel heater in the 99-00 trucks are suceptable to separating and shorting out. There is an updated version that you will eventually want to install - 1999 - 2003 Ford Fuel Bowl Heater Element

This is a direction sheet for the fuel drain - http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/FuelDrain.pdf

In the picture on the first page, upper right corner, you see the fuel heater plug (its combined with the Water in Fuel sensor) - it is that white plug right next to the drain. Its black on my truck, but it will be the only one next to the drain.

You can run the truck without the heater plugged in for as long as you like. You already found the fuse, so after you get that unplugged, and the fuse replaced, you are good to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some more help!

Anyone know where I can find the engine cover that sits atop of the fuel filter housing?
Mine has broken tabs and is just being held in place by the black hose clip clamped to the hose on the passenger side of the cover.

·
Premium Member
14,525 Posts
I see them on eBay occasionally. Its just a decorative item, so no need to rush out and buy a new one from the dealer. Just check there or at your local junkyard whenever you drive by one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:
Replaced the fuel heater, fuel filter and #30 fuse and she is running great again.
BUT!!!!!!

Another problem has arisen. Now my radio is acting wierd. Changes stations every 1-2 seconds by itself when the headlights or parking lights are turned on. It doesn't do it when the lights remain off.

Strangest thing!!!!!!
Anyone has any ideas or knowledge of this happening to anyone else?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found out the radio coincidentally went bad when it did. Dimmer switch in radio to be exact.
Gave me a reason to replace with a TV radio and Sirius XM,

Thanks again to everyone for their advise and help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1999 F350 7.3 wont start

I have the same problem... just went out and tried to start the truck... Nothing turns over fine but no start... it did this before and I unplugged the fuel bowl heater replaced the fuse and it hit... I have now checked the 30 amp fuse and was blown... replaced it and turned the switch on and poof there it goes again... any help on this one? thanks

·
Premium Member
14,525 Posts
1999 F350 7.3 died and wont start

Check the fuel heater plug behind the fuel bowl isn't grounded. Trace the wire to make sure it isn't chaffed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts