The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I screwed up line by applying too much heat to bleeder, to un-freeze it. Ford wants $136 for left front! And all the other places like autozone, advance, napa, etc... wants approx $18-20.00 . Big difference! I found OE on ebay for $90-108 free shipping. I dont want to skimp on stopping, but any other input, on the other brands quality? USA made or ??(or is ford including the lawsuits liability?)
BTW, I thought it would be smart to replace both sides.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You probably get what you pay for. In this case, you're paying for liability insurance.

If your new Ford brake line fails and you get hurt, Ford has a load of insurance. If your new off brand brake line fails, NAPA will direct you to a manufacturer in China who may or may not still be in business.

Of course, for the Ford money, you could have custom braided stainless steel lines made, but for some strange reason I don't think that they pass inspection in many states. They're good enough for race cars, but not good enough for you....

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
I've got the autozone lines. I'm not super abusive to my brakes... they seem to work okay and don't appear to be in danger of exploding. Who knows though... the front and rear systems are isolated. Even if you did have a blow out you should still be able to stop, albeit a bit slower...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after trying to screw in fitting in one of the NAPA hoses, flare nut would only screw in about 3/4 turn. I thought maybe cross threaded, so I took out & it looked fine. I went to Auto zone & double checked with correct flare nut & sure enough, the new hose would not accept much screw in of nut & the old hose would screw in 4 times further. I thought what if the rest of the quality is compromised also? I returned them to NAPA & ordered online, Ford OE, both sides. Saved approx $60.00 online, & hopefully have less pucker factor when, going down 9-10% grade, & standing on brakes.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
How about Goodridge brake lines?
I had them on my track car and actually noticed a firmer pedal and ability to modulate better.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Aren't they braided steel?

Like I mentioned in a post above, some states don't allow them (I know that NY doesn't).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Oh... I missed that.
Honestly the inspection place never said anything when i lived in NYC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts