The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 year old 2” ball mount is getting scary thin from the years of rust and abuse. I would like to buy a new ball mount for my 2019 f350. I would like to get a 2-1/2” ball mount so I don’t need the silly spacer too. Been looking at the curt forged models and they only make a 2” or 4” drop.
What do you guys go with? My
Old was a 3” and seemed pretty
Good. I was leaning towards the 2” drop.
And for those who will say go with and adjustable chrome plated blah blah. I won’t do that because I will leave this on all the time and don’t use a locking pin because rust is killer on them and I end up taking a death wheel to them after 3 years to get it off. Also, I don’t like the look of a big blob of chrome hanging of the back of my truck.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The drop depends on hight of truck and what you are towing. I have two trucks and one hitch is 3 inches taller than the other. Two trailers with hitch about the same hight. So I match the trailers hight with both. I must have 4 or 5 different mounts altogether because you never know what you may need to tow. Also different size balls, because a lot of trailers don't use the big balls I have.!!😎

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I tend to keep my eye out at yard/moving sales for stuff like that. You will find some great deals. A wire brush and rattle can makes them look like new. Another thing I picked up is a large tow hook. Slip it in receiver (I have one in front and back of truck) and now hooking up a snatch strap is easy and safe.
DENNY

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ideas, I’m definitely going with forged this time. My current is a 3” drop and that’s what I’ll go with. Has worked well

·
Registered
4,718 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
My 16 year old 2” ball mount is getting scary thin from the years of rust and abuse. I would like to buy a new ball mount for my 2019 f350. I would like to get a 2-1/2” ball mount so I don’t need the silly spacer too. Been looking at the curt forged models and they only make a 2” or 4” drop.
What do you guys go with? My
Old was a 3” and seemed pretty
Good. I was leaning towards the 2” drop.
And for those who will say go with and adjustable chrome plated blah blah. I won’t do that because I will leave this on all the time and don’t use a locking pin because rust is killer on them and I end up taking a death wheel to them after 3 years to get it off. Also, I don’t like the look of a big blob of chrome hanging of the back of my truck.
It really surprises me that the 2019 didn’t come from the factory with a 2-1/2” receiver / hitch. I thought the newer trucks had a much higher tow capacity than some of our older trucks. I have looked at newer hitches and their ratings around 17K (my current 2” receiver has a 10K max. rating) and as my truck has a GCWR of 20K doesn’t make much sense as my truck empty at Cat Scale is around 8300. Just for clarity, is it your receiver tube that’s getting thin?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 19 is factory 2-1/2”, that’s the reason I’m upgrading to forged ball mount.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
My 19 is factory 2-1/2”, that’s the reason I’m upgrading to forged ball mount.
Thanks for the reply scha0786, I was drawing the wrong mental picture when I initially read your post, I googled “ball mount” and saw the brands you were referencing.....and saw ones listed as “ball hitch” which is what I’ve always seen when I have purchased them but one in the same. I’m sure you’ll like the solid forged mounts with your heavier capacity. I’m looking at buying a dump trailer but have decided to go with the goose neck adapter for my 5th wheel rails as the older generation trucks didn’t have the heavy hitches.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10-4, curious what kind of dump trailer your getting. I've always wanted one. Debate if I would get a bumper pull vs goose

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
10-4, curious what kind of dump trailer your getting. I've always wanted one. Debate if I would get a bumper pull vs goose
I’ve been looking seriously at the Big Tex 14GX dump trailers. Fully loaded that would put me 2K over my GCWR but under my RAWR and Load Rating on my tires on my Dually. I am 2-1/2 hrs from Sikeston Mo. and 4-1/2 hrs from Bowling Green, Ky but it looks like the dealer in Bowling Green has the best price. Now with this Corona Virus thing going on I’ve decided to wait until this is behind us......I don’t want a loan and I don’t want to take the money out of the savings yet in case our plant shuts down and all I’m drawing is unemployment for who knows how long. Our registration just went up in Illinois (a lot) but with the trailer I wouldn’t need to keep plates on my old beater F150 for gravel, firewood and farm use so I’d probably break about even.

post edit: corrected to GCWR

( 4EFDC2A4-1D1A-4BAD-89A5-91735B7A0209.png

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice, I hear ya about the quoyvid disease. Better hang on and save for now.

You can pick up a brand new Load Warrior 14k 12' dumper bumper pull around here for around 6,500.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get not wanting a large chunk of crome on the back of your rig, but I would suggest that adjustable is the way to go. Currently I have Weigh-safe hitches for my wife's 2019 and my 2020. They are polished aluminum with chrome balls, came with both 2" and 2 5/8" balls and are adjustable down to 6" drop. With that set-up I have the right tool for all 5 trailers in my driveway and pretty much any other trailer I might need to hook up to. I got them with keyed alike hitch pins so security is easy. Before these I had Diversitech hitches for my wife's 2004 Excursion and my 2006 F-350. Those were great as well but when I started looking for a 2.5 and 3" for the new rigs I was not impressed with the updated ones for the larger recievers. It seems like Diversitech was bought out and the design and quality went down a rat hole. The other thing I kept running into is that these aluminum hitches are typically rated much higher that the standard steel drop hitches I was finding without going to one of those funky gen-y hitches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks solid, that would be a bit under spec for two of my trailers. I didn't really know that before getting the weigh-safe, they run 1400-1600# tounge weight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the Reese is 1300 tongue and 13,000 pull. Its a beast, super heavy compared to my old 2" receiver. plus the shank is 1-1/4" which is massive compared to what my old one was. You'd be suprised what i pulled with my old 2", lol.

The cast ball mounts are probably the strongest but man they are spendy and not readily available at any parts store in a pinch.

I'm happy with the setup, looks good on the back of the truck, not this big blob of chrome hanging down like a nutsack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts