The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see here there is a problem with the early 2 piece glow plugs. How big a problem is it to change them be fore they cause problems ? Whats the procedure ?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You can change them but they are the same. You can't fit the updated ones into a 2011. But I'm not sure it was the glo plugs as other issues affecting them to go in the cases of failure I've read here. One Ford tech said to change them out at 10000K to be safe and it would be a 4 hr job or so..not bad but it all adds up. I had 125K on mine before trading and it ran fine..was I lucky?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I ran my July 2010 built truck 145,000 miles before trading it off for a 2015. I started my truck 10-14 times per day So my glow plugs got cycled a lot.

Never had any problem with them.

I've talked to the guy who bought my truck, don't know how many miles he has put on it in 8 months, but he has not had any glow plug problems.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I ran my July 2010 built truck 145,000 miles before trading it off for a 2015. I started my truck 10-14 times per day So my glow plugs got cycled a lot.

Never had any problem with them.

I've talked to the guy who bought my truck, don't know how many miles he has put on it in 8 months, but he has not had any glow plug problems.
Being you started it that many times a day the engine was always warm. Maybe the plugs didn't even get cycled during those times. Just saying.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is a Ford Tech that speaks specifically to this issue. He provides the correct part numbers, torque specs, etc. The updated glow plug design is intended for 6.7L PSD engines with production dates of 29 March 2011 and earlier.

From what I can tell the job requires intake manifold/valve cover removal and EGR cooler removal. From there it looks to be a pretty easy job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts