The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When engaging 4wd switch today, 30A maxi fuse 17 opened. Replaced fuse, still no engagement or indicator light. Pulled switch, solid blue wire has only 6vdc to chassis ground.
Can push on either relay under hood and hear motor turning. Have read previous articles without seeing this exact issue. What say you......

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts
I'm not surprised that the switch wire only has 6V on it. It's fed by the GEM and only changes the resistance across the switch to tell the GEM how to switch the relays.

Hearing the motor move while pushing on the relays is very strange. It shouldn't do that. It indicates to me (along with the popped fuse) that you have a short somewhere.

Here's the wiring diagram for that circuit which contains the relays. Hope that helps.

View attachment ESOF 34-1.pdf

Welcome to TheDieselStop :)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Your 2000 4WD should'nt be any difference than my 99.5. I'm having trouble with mine also. The TC motor should only run for an instant. The Encoder only turns a 1/4 turn for indication. I have the New Progress Gear TC. I think my GEM to a dump. The quadrant gear in my shift motor was jambed to one side. There is no way to shift the TC by hand, at least I tried, it's in a detent and I was reluctant to shift it by hand as it's in 2WD now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update?
While pushing relays under hood near fuse box the shift motor would turn back/forth, but no indicator lights on dash.
Replaced with unit from O'Reillys $131 with lifetime replacement, works fine now.
Apparently the encoder was faulty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts