The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 7.3 takes about seconds of turning over to start and once it’s running if you shut the key off and start it immediately it fires up instantly but if you wait 20 seconds or more it’s back to about 10 seconds temp doesn’t matter does it hot or cold weird part is if I crank and and shut it off but leave the key in the on position I can come out 2 minutes or an hour later and it’ll fire right up also but key has to be left on
Fresh oil and fuel filter
New batteries
Icp is unplugged
Hpop reservoir is full at all times
Jumped gpr for a minute no change
Left plugged in for an hour no change
Cycled key 6 times no change
Runs fine once it’s started

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I suspect your starter is going bad, HOWEVER, several things to check first. Check battery voltage separately, check charging voltage, clean all batt terminals and grounds, check batt cable at starter. How fast is the engine turning over? DENNY

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm wondering if you have a fuel pressure leak. With thekey on the pump might be cycling to keep the pressure up, but with it off it leaks down slowly.

·
Super Moderator
26,160 Posts
With thekey on the pump might be cycling to keep the pressure up
With the key on and the engine not running, the PCM only runs the pump for about 20 seconds then shuts the pump off until the next key on cycle. If the engine is running, the pump runs constantly, and doesn't cycle in response to fuel pressure. Pressure is maintained by the regulator on the side of the fuel filter bowl.

·
Registered
280 Posts
With the key on and the engine not running, the PCM only runs the pump for about 20 seconds then shuts the pump off until the next key on cycle. If the engine is running, the pump runs constantly, and doesn't cycle in response to fuel pressure. Pressure is maintained by the regulator on the side of the fuel filter bowl.
I wasn't sure but that makes sense. What's odd about his symptoms is the "leaving the key on, engine off, and then it starts normally." Sounds like something is maintaining a pressure somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect your starter is going bad, HOWEVER, several things to check first. Check battery voltage separately, check charging voltage, clean all batt terminals and grounds, check batt cable at starter. How fast is the engine turning over? DENNY
Batteries and terminals are new ive heard of a bunch of starts and alternator issues causing that but leaving the key on and it starting fine seems to eliminate those it turns over pretty fast

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering if you have a fuel pressure leak. With thekey on the pump might be cycling to keep the pressure up, but with it off it leaks down slowly.
That’s what I’ve bene thinking to but I guess not according to what everybody says about the pump

·
Super Moderator
26,160 Posts
If you've exhausted all the possibilities, live with the 10 second crank time till it gets worse and the cause shows its head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you've exhausted all the possibilities, live with the 10 second crank time till it gets worse and the cause shows its head.
You probably what I’m going to have to do had a few people look at it so far with no just worried the battery is gonna die one day cause of it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You probably what I’m going to have to do had a few people look at it so far with no just worried the battery is gonna die one day cause of it
I did just realize the fuel bowl trips has a slight drop about 10 seconds apart onto when it’s running though doesn’t drop it all with it off checked bowl a while after I shut it off it was still full

1 - 10 of 10 Posts