The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2000 7.3 and having a problem with my batteries draining all the time and too low to start my truck after a couple days. Thought it was the starter solenoid, but replaced with a new one and still same issue. Have replaced both batteries 2 times still same issue. Started probing voltages on all posts and found out that there is 5 volts on the "S" wire of the solenoid all the time. When the key is turned over, it does go to 12v, but the batteries drain after a couple days.

Any clue as to where I should look to see where this wire would be getting 5 volts from?

·
Super Moderator
26,160 Posts
That wire comes from the ignition switch start circuit, thru Fuse 20 the under dash fuse box, a jumper block under the dash where the Clutch Pedal Position Switch would be and then thru the Digital Transmission Range Switch (DTRS) on the transmission to the starter relay. You may have a short between wires somewhere. Or if the fuse box has gotten wet, there could be voltage leaking between traces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That wire comes from the ignition switch start circuit, thru Fuse 20 the under dash fuse box, a jumper block under the dash where the Clutch Pedal Position Switch would be and then thru the Digital Transmission Range Switch (DTRS) on the transmission to the starter relay. You may have a short between wires somewhere. Or if the fuse box has gotten wet, there could be voltage leaking between traces.
OK thank you, I will give it a look tonight!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts