The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently bought a 7.3l superduty, i love these trucks i used to run one as a plow truck when i worked landscaping and fell absolutely in love with it. Recently got an opportunity to buy one at a pretty good price things only got 180k on it so i jump on it runs perfectly for about a month then boom i get this huge oil leak. I remember from servicing the plow i used to run that these things leak as reliably as they run so i dont fret but with some urgency ( a bit too much urgency) i diagnosed it as the pedestal ebpv tear it apart rebuild/upgrade the turbo while its out reseal the pedestal and delete the valve...didnt solve jack. After enough engine degreaser to drown a small villiage and painstaking research i track the leak to the rear seal on the hpop alright i think lucky me thats easy ( mind you at this point the truck will still fire up like a trooper) so i remove the fuel bowl swap o rings on the seal throw it all back together and boom now she just cranks for days. Smooth crank no fluctuations. Changed ipc ipr converted to the new high flow hpop lines with the crossover amidst all this. Now she has a gushing fuel leak coming from the fuel fitting directly behind the alternator.....im at a loss if anyone has any idea *** is goinb on please im loosing my mind over this truck. I have new fuel lines on the way going the root of steel braided 6 an lines but ive seen 7.3 engines run while loosing more fuel than they were using so I don't think the fuel is the issue kinda leaning the way of the pcm/idm but relatively clueless in that arena

·
Super Moderator
26,939 Posts
Did you pull the HPOP plug off the bottom of the pump? There's a check ball in there that has to be assembled with the input shaft of the pump facing down. If the ball is out of position or crushed by the plug, the pump can't build any pressure.

I would start by getting a scan tool on it that will monitor parameters and check for ICP and IPR duty cycle while cranking.

BTW, a little punctuation and white space would help us understand your posts better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you pull the HPOP plug off the bottom of the pump? There's a check ball in there that has to be assembled with the input shaft of the pump facing down. If the ball is out of position or crushed by the plug, the pump can't build any pressure.

I would start by getting a scan tool on it that will monitor parameters and check for ICP and IPR duty cycle while cranking.

BTW, a little punctuation and white space would help us understand your posts better.
My apologies, i was in a bit of a hurry to type all that and have had one nightmare of a week i have not pulled the hpop plug.

However i have had a scanner on it and i got a pcm fault once but it disappeared soon after.
Now it reads as good with no codes, granted the scanner is 2nd from the lowest end

·
Super Moderator
26,939 Posts
However i have had a scanner on it and i got a pcm fault once but it disappeared soon after.
Now it reads as good with no codes, granted the scanner is 2nd from the lowest end
A low end scanner doesn't work on a Powerstroke.
Dumb question, but did you refill the oil?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A low end scanner doesn't work on a Powerstroke.
Dumb question, but did you refill the oil?
I have a bullydog on the way as well, got the built in diagnostics and all that good stuff kinda hoping itll be an improvement seeing live data
yes i religiously check my oil and what with all the cranking. I also make sure the hpop reservoir stays full.
Have swapped ipc and ipr as well.
The tac moves when im cranking so it shouldnt be the cps so i didnt bother with that yet

·
Premium Member
15,289 Posts
When X causes Y, don't start chasing Z as the culprit. Go back over everything you did. All wiring back in place? Any chance the IPR harness had frayed wires (extremely common) and are now touching? Which plug exactly did you mess with? The large round plate that never leaks in the back of HPOP? Bottom line, you need to watch your ICP and IPR values while cranking. Something in that circuit is the culprit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plug next to the big tound plate that never leaks. Had just a little piece of o-ring left dangling out the side of it.

Ive already got it down to just the turbo again, checking and double checking my work. Making adjustments where i can.

also laying new fuel lines and double checking fuel bowl seals for that gusher of a fuel leak that sprung up.

·
Premium Member
15,289 Posts
That back plug is just an o-ring, so that shouldn't have caused anything. I'd sure double-check the IPR wiring. I was surprised at how chaffed my wires were and I didn't have any issues. Do you have any way of monitoring the IC pressure and IPR duty cycle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That back plug is just an o-ring, so that shouldn't have caused anything. I'd sure double-check the IPR wiring. I was surprised at how chaffed my wires were and I didn't have any issues. Do you have any way of monitoring the IC pressure and IPR duty cycle?
Not at the moment waiting on a better scanner rn actually but the ipr harness almost looks new its the censor that conflicts with the passenger side fuel bowl bolt that actually seems to be beat death.

That and the fuel heater hookup, looks pretty rough too should i split the harness' wrapping and see whats going on underneath?

·
Super Moderator
26,939 Posts
If the fuel heater wiring is shorted, you won't get any power to the PCM, as the same fuse serves the fuel heater as well as the PCM Power relay control circuit. A short in the fuel heater will blow that fuse. Do you get the check engine light when you first turn the key on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the fuel heater wiring is shorted, you won't get any power to the PCM, as the same fuse serves the fuel heater as well as the PCM Power relay control circuit. A short in the fuel heater will blow that fuse. Do you get the check engine light when you first turn the key on.
I did at first but now i dont get any out of the norm lights. still get wait to start and all that fun stuff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the gap a lots been going on the last week. So ive now rewired the ipr, put new pigtail on the icp swapped the cps changed fuel lines and got p1119 and p1288 as well as kam error code for the pcm with my new scanner .. idk what to do here

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Possibly the valve cover gasket or oil rail plug on the front passenger side? Mind you ive cleaned this engine thoroughly since its been parked. Still no start please help!!!

·
Super Moderator
26,939 Posts
The oil rail plug would be spewing oil all over the place. But you should check it. The valve cover gasket leaking wouldn't cause a no-start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well im stumped then guess my next best guess is rebuilding te original ipr and seeing if anything becomes of it is it possible my oil fill stem is leaking? Been notiving a steady saturation in that area as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts