The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 F350 ccsrw 4x4 Ts6,280k;02 50 ccsrw 4x4 Zf6 Ts6 reman injectors 5"turbo back exhaust,4" intake
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 F350 7.3 auto. Good strong running truck all the way until it wasn't. While driving it pulling a 16ft enclosed trailer it all of a sudden looses power and dies. Can get it to turn over all day but wont fire. Have replaced everything from ICP, to CPS, swapped IDM, rebuilt IPR. Still nothing. Before this happened I had noticed on some mornings a rough romp when starting and lots of smoke, but would even out when warmed up. There was a TS6 position chip plugged into it that was programmed for a totally different truck but had been removed for some time before this happened. The only thing I haven't replaced is the PCM. Just wondering if theres anything else I could be overlooking before I fork out the money for a new one. Thanks for any and all help!

·
Premium Member
15,047 Posts
The PCM rarely fails. Same with the IDM. You have to do some testing before you throw money at it hoping to fix it. These motors can get real expensive with that approach. You need to put a scanner on it and watch what's happening while you crank. AutoEnginuity is what a lot of us use, but you can get ForScan for android or iOS devices and pair it with a ELM327 OBDII adapter. That, by far, is the cheapest option. The adapter is for sale on Amazon or eBay.

Set your scanner to watch for RPM, voltage, IC pressure, IPR duty cycle, and injector pulse width. Throw in MAP and EBP just to make sure those sensors are working. I am attaching a worksheet that will show you the minimum required parameters to fire the injectors.

Also, don't forget the basics. Fuel level? These trucks are notorious for dying at 1/4 tank because the pickup foot rots off. Fuel pressure? Oil level?

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    2.1 MB Views: 75
Reactions: cdyp1

·
Registered
2000 F350 ccsrw 4x4 Ts6,280k;02 50 ccsrw 4x4 Zf6 Ts6 reman injectors 5"turbo back exhaust,4" intake
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Added 5 gallons of fuel previously, oil at optimum level after fresh oil change. Fresh oil in the hpop when I rebuilt the IPR valve. Yes I primed the pump. Getting fuel to the bowl for sure, with good enough pressure to spew when leaving the lid barely cracked. Building good oil pressure as it turns over,(according to dash guage). Still no start. Plugged into a Snap on scanner and it threw no codes. Buzzed all eight injectors etc etc. Im at the end of my wits with it.

·
Premium Member
4,327 Posts
Were you able to sort out the trouble and get it running?
With the holiday, the forum has been kinda slow.
Did you run the tests that RT suggested above?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did run most of these test. As far as I can tell everything else seems to be operating just as it should. Still cranking strong but no start. I pulled the PCM and opened it up. I dont see any discoloring, no popped resistors, nothing that looks out of place to me. I had a spare IDM laying around plugged it in, still nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,327 Posts
Time to go back to basics and start eliminating possibilities.
You replaced several parts but you have not put a gauge to measure fuel pressure (PSI). I read that you left the fuel bowl cap loose and saw pressure but that is not enough to eliminate it.

Also, when did you rebuild IPR? After it had stalled or before? There will be air in the system after that and it takes some effort to purge. Could you describe when the IPR was rebuilt and how many times you have attempted to crank the engine since then?

Now that the holiday is over, some of the experts will be back to help.

I am guessing you have towed your truck back home to a safe place?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes sir that is correct. And the IPR was rebuilt after it stalled. Ive proba ly turned it over trying to crank it 10-15 times since then. What is the best way to check the fuel pressure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still fighting this damn issue. I have done everything I can think of. Even replaced fuel pump at this point. I give up. I got a 2000 crew cab srw 4x4 280k on it for sale.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Have you checked for shorted wires in the harness? Look up GB tech bulletin 103, tells you how to check for shorts in the wiring harness. The main problem is the one one that connects just on top of the drivers side valve cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greg,

Yes sir i have. I've been through every wire of it. Starting at the PCM and all the way across to the starting solenoid mounted on the passenger side. Ive replaced every part i can except for the injectors and the hpop. Even replaced a few of the replacements. New batteries, new(to the truck) known good IDM, IPR, ICP, CPS, EBP sensor and tube, GP relay, rebuilt fuel bowl, new hpop hoses, fresh oil change, new fuel pump, new screens in the tank, and all new fuses and relays. Yes the Hpop reservoir was full and there's fuel in the tank. I do have both valve covers off as well and I notices when cranking that there was no oil coming out of the spout ontop of the injectors? When running Forscan my psi was above 500 but yet no oil coming out? I went ahead and pulled the Hpop off and it doesnt seem to be damaged just by looking and feeling of the range of motion. I think I'll put it back together again and if it cranks good if not its for sale as is I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts