The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. The 2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3 I bought new has 185,000 miles on it. (30,000 of those miles were towing a 26' Toyhauler) Veh is BONE STOCK. I personally changed the auto trans fluid &
filter (including draining the torque converter) every 30,000 miles, adding 1-2 bottles of "Lubeguard" ATF Supplement.

Past couple days as I accelarate from a stop, it tachs up to approx. 3000 RPM then shifts into 3rd gear. Second is going away, INTERMITTENTLY. (Sometimes it shift normally)NO check engine light and the OD light on the shift lever is NOT flashing.

I figure it's time for a Ford reman trans. What say yous? Thanks.

ps i'M TAKING IT TO THE fORD DEALER mONDAY. What should be done while the trans is out(as I expect will be needed)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I recommend a ford hd transmission a 31 row 6.0 trans cooler. Bellowed up pipes from manifold to turbo new flex plate if needed also check /replace rear main seal. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recommend a ford hd transmission a 31 row 6.0 trans cooler. Bellowed up pipes from manifold to turbo new flex plate if needed also check /replace rear main seal. Good luck

I asked the Ford dealer parts guy about the HD version, he said they only showed one part number for the 2000 Excursion 7.3. Also," with the diesel it will be the heaviest duty transmission". Is he wrong? Part # anyone?

·
Super Moderator
24,888 Posts
Autonation Ford White Bear Lake's site shows only two automatic trannies for the 7.3L Excursion, a 2WD and a 4WD version.
2WD is 1C3Z-7V000-FRM
4WD is 1C3Z-7V000-FRM

An F350 7.3 Lists the same ones, plus two more, a 2WD and a 4WD version, both with PTO provisions (different case).

Possibly Ford has standardized on the HD version.

If you want another opinion, Call Autonation Ford White Bear Lake's part department and ask them. 1-800-328-9552
They are good guys and can probably get you a better price than locally, or you could at least use their price as leverage.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had my 4r100 built by a independent shop in Denver colo. I had extra clutches put in and put in roller bearings wear plastic was and shift kit and a dual disk billet torque converter also they did my up pipes also. Just something to think about. My stock transmission died at 234,000 miles

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi mikeceli I can't say if they have two different versions I had a buddy do a HD trans from the dealer that's what he told me. I went with a independent shop cause I wanted it built my way cause I did bigger turbo and injectors HPOP and fuel system I wanted my new trans to hold up to the more power it has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts