The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let my try to explain what has happened. Up to this point, I have had no trouble with this vehicle. Last week my son took the boat to the lake and called and said the truck wasnt running very well and would not gear down when the pedal was pressed. He said he could only go 40 mph. When he got home, I could hear the fuel pump on the frame and to me sounded liked that was my problem. I drained the fuel bowl to relieve pressure, however, when the valve was opened, it didnt drain until I took the top of the housing and pulled up on the filter. I change the pump and thought all was good. Drove it up the mountain pulling a small flat bed trailer with portapotties on it and it seemed to be fine. Coming home after four days and 160 miles, all of a sudden it started to act like that again. I pulled off the freeway and checked my new fuel pump, all was good. It would idle and clank just like it does when it has run out of fuel until all the air is gone. So I turned it off, drained the fuel bowl and started it. It was only about 30 seconds when it smoothed out and sounded good and it got me home the next 20 miles. It has been a few years since I dropped the tank and cleaned the screens in the sending unit. I put in a new fuel filter a few months ago. I am going to pull the filter out and see if anything is visibly wrong. I wonder if its time to dropped the tank and clean things and also do the mod. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
This is another example of why having a fuel pressure gauge would be a great idea. You'd be able to answer this question instantly. Without that, you're left guessing.

How much fuel is in the tank? When the screens plug or when the foot rots off, its usually at a 1/4 tank when you get issues.

A low oil level or foaming oil can cause this. A loose IPR tin nut can cause this. Leaking injector O-rings could cause this. A CPS failing could cause this. And on and on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with that above...

But, I'm curious-you mentioned that you could hear the fuel pump so you changed it...what'd it sound like and why did you change it-usually when they're shot they make no sound-and may be very hot...

And,

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RT,
The fuel level was between 1/4 and 1/2. It has been a few months since changing the oil, but it hasnt been driven much. I will check the oil level. It has been a while since replacing the CPS during the recall many years ago.

SuperDutyFiverX,
Changing the fuel pump was just a bad assumption I would say. I dont recall hearing it like I did and it may have just been magnified knowing the engine was having issues running correctly.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My guess (the guys above have already pointed out why all we can do is guess) is fuel aeration and that the Hutch mod will fix your issue. While this problem 'normally' shows up at 1/4 tank it can happen at any level up to about 1/2 tank. Easy test: get you a 5gal can of diesel, drive your truck until it starts bucking or just seems to run out of fuel, add the 5 gallons and see if problem is solved.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Issue resolved

Decided it was time to drop the tank again and see what was going on. When I pulled out the sending unit, the first noticeable thing was the pickup foot was somewhere in the tank. After fishing around in the tank, which happened to have 18 gallons of fuel in it, I found it. It had broken off. Then I took the two screens out, which were so clogged up it was amazing the thing even started. The local ford dealer only had the pickup foot and not the screen tubes. I needed this on the road, so I bought the foot and gave the screens a good cleaning. Put it all back together. I was not prepared to do the hutch mod at the time, so that will have to wait. It runs like a champ now. So I put the old pump back on since I didnt like how the new one fit. I will keep it just in case. It was running so well, we took a gamble and decided to run to Southern California from Utah to get a buddy's car that had broken down. Got us there and back pulling a trailer with not issues.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Glad to hear that you identified the issue-were you clogged with crap or algae? With a plastic tank we generally don't have the old tank issues and most of the tanks I've dropped have a little crap in the screens but not that much-also, I think cleaning the screens is just fine-you generally can blow everything out of them. I did the Hutch mod and harpooned my excursions tank-I think my filler was pretty short to start but still probably get another gallon or two in-I haven't noticed much difference in audible noise or any more smoothness from the Hutch mod-maybe if I had a few hundred thousand less on the truck it would stand out more!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it was from algae. The first time I did this a few years back, it had been running biodiesel and cleaned out the tank and pushed a bunch of crap into the screens. This time it was some black crap that I think was algae.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts