The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a couple months since I used it...last time I used it/checked it was when I replaced front hub assemblies, ball joints, and hub lockers (warn).

Anyways...went to engage the other day and it's not engaging. 4HI or 4LO...in 4LO, I could hear what sounded like the transfer case repeatedly clunking, like it was repeatedly trying but failing. And then after I tried after that it seems to only clunk one time but still not engaging.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

I'm hoping for a stupid sensor or something, but expecting the worst...

·
Super Moderator
25,083 Posts
The GEM is what controls the motor for the t-case, activating one of two relays mounted under the hood in front of the main fuse box. On the motor itself, there's a rotary switch that tells the GEM when the motor is in the right position and that it should turn off the motor. If you had the original auto locking hubs, that would be higher on the list, as vacuum leaks will make them not work. But you said you had Warn hubs on it, so that wouldn't be the problem.

I'd lean toward the switch on the t-case motor being messed up. Crawl underneath and eyeball it for obvious signs of problems like loose connections, or a wire harness that's been damaged by a rock hit for instance.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There is a connector on the t-case motor that can be removed, if there is tranny fluid in the connector, the t-case motor is likely gone. Other than that klhansen is spot on in the debug procedure..

Good Luck

Coolhand

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No more worries...it seems to be working fine now.

I don't...maybe a loose connector or an impatient operator...lol

We will see if it continues to work...especially when I am stuck again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts