The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck, affectionately named The Behemoth by my fiancee', has been having a few issues lately with the shift lever that is causing starting and shifting issues.
1) If I don't push the shift lever all the way counterclockwise to the left, and I go to crank the ignition, I'll get maybe half a second of cranking and then the starter motor stops cold. I installed a new starter motor in 2014 and I make sure to press down on the brake pedal while cranking, so those shouldn't be the cause of my problems.
2) If I move the shift lever to "R", often nothing happens unless I jiggle the shift lever counterclockwise so that it's to the left-most place in the "R" position. Only then will I feel the transmission go into reverse and I can back up.
3) The same thing happens moving the Shift Lever into "D" Drive but not as noticeably as putting it into "R" Reverse.
4) Whilst in "D" Drive, it isn't doesn't seem to be having any up-shifting or down-shifting problems.

My ancient beat-up Haynes Manual seems to have it narrowed down to the following:
a) Shift Interlock System
b) TR Sensor (Transmission Range Sensor)
c) Shift Indicator Cable
d) Shift Cable

Any suggestions on where to start? If I need to take it to a repair shop, I want to diagnose the problem as best as possible to eliminate any "reconnaissance by fire" replace, replace, replace replacement of parts til they finally get it right by process of elimination.

As always, thanks a million for y'alls help. It's saved me tons of money over the years and given me great satisfaction at being able to do a lot of expensive repairs myself.

Thanks,
Mark/ Catch-All

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
This is not the video that i was looking for but it's the same on our f-350's -250''s so check the torx screws on the shift lever bracket under the dash near the steering column, hope this fixes your problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is not the video that i was looking for but it's the same on our f-350's -250''s so check the torx screws on the shift lever bracket under the dash near the steering column, hope this fixes your problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKqiDy_Po2M
Ding Ding Ding! Googs wins the Internets!

Thank You so much for the help, Googs! The video you linked did the trick. It's such a quick and easy fix too! You just saved me at least a $150 diagnose & repair bill. PM me your mailing address and I'll be happy to send you a Thank You card.

This site is great. It's full of knowledgable people helping out their fellow :ford: Truck owners, including dumbasses like me :nerd:

Next Project: de-water the fuel tank. I'll start a separate thread for that one....

Thanks,
Mark/ Catch-All

·
Super Moderator
11,631 Posts
I make sure to press down on the brake pedal while cranking,
I see that you already have the answer, but I have to ask, why do you press the brake pedal while cranking? I've never heard of that. It won't hurt anything, but why do you do it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see that you already have the answer, but I have to ask, why do you press the brake pedal while cranking? I've never heard of that. It won't hurt anything, but why do you do it?
I reckon it's a habit from driving a stick for decades. I never trusted the handbrake on my Toyota POS :grin2: and so I'd put my foot on the brake and crank the engine.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
With all the stupid do-dads out there on new vehicles, I'll bet there are some new cars out there that require the foot on the brake for the starter to crank... Heck, it wasn't that many years if I recall that you could pull the shift lever out of part without your foot on the brake.

·
Super Moderator
11,631 Posts
I reckon it's a habit from driving a stick for decades. I never trusted the handbrake on my Toyota POS :grin2: and so I'd put my foot on the brake and crank the engine.
That makes sense. I do that on my Lincoln LS. It's a stick, too.

Heck, it wasn't that many years if I recall that you could pull the shift lever out of part without your foot on the brake.
The first year for the shifter lock was 1992. That's a quarter century ago!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Quarter of a century ago.....Mark, oh why, oh why did you have to phrase it that way?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts