The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new owner and new to the forums. 2000 F350 4x4 SCSB with 310k on the odometer. Just bought it from original owner and is in great condition considering miles. Over the past week, a new sound has developed from the engine compartment. I want to emphasize that it ONLY happens when the fan clutch is engaged. Engine can be warm or cold. Loaded or unloaded doesn’t matter, either. At RPMs above 2500, a squealing noise will come from the engine compartment. I have read about turbo surge, but the sound doesn’t “pulsate” like you can hear in other videos. I also considered maybe belt squeal, but it sounds different than your classic wet belt cold morning Ford startup. The belt itself doesn’t look too glazed over, but I have been wrong before. Not sure when the last time the belt tensioner was replaced. This guy on this forum seems to have an identical problem as me:

His remedy was to replace the belt and tensioner, but he never had a video up of the sound. I uploaded a video of the sound my engine makes. Looking for some insight before I start dropping money into it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Thomas, it could be several things as you mention, with the extra load of the fan clutch engagement, or it may be a coincidence as mentioned in this search on our Forum concerning the turbo. Thread attached.

Welcome to the Diesel Stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Horn,

Thank you for this. Don’t know how I missed this thread. Sounds like I have some options on narrowing it down.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My weird squeal was a bad serpentine belt...

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would remove the belt and spin all of your pulleys at least it will not cost you anything and easy to do for a quick check. Over the years I have had quite a few squeals a couple tensioner pulleys an alternator pulley and a couple of idler pulleys. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finally had time to tinker around and all of the pulleys spin freely with no abnormal play in them. Replaced the serpentine belt and so far the squeal has gone away. Must have been glazed over a bit too much. Thank you all for your help and input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had another tech get under it while I rev’d it for a bit. He said it sounded like a bearing, like the rumble when one gets kinda bad, and I would agree. Also, it’s more prominent when the engine has load on it, a road test makes it really easy to hear. The only oddity is that is hasn’t gotten worse and doesn’t change Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin depending on whether it’s warmed up or not, and I remember performing fluid service to the Trans and transfer case, and the noise is still there and exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The newer serpentine belts do not crack or show cracks like the older ones did. When the newer belt wears out, it is the ribs that wear off and the belt slips on the pulley, they no longer grip and then squeal when they slip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts