The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2000 f350 super duty I us to tow my 40' enclosed trailer never really had mechanical issues only use on average once a month, over weekend coming to stop light truck died and would not refire changed fuel filter, finally got to refire with starting fluid and get out of the roadway. about 10 miles down road truck started loosing power and running rough pulled over truck died would not refire again. using rag soaked in gas got truck to refire and got to better location. checking over turbo has some oil around bottom and noticed it smells like its burning oil and using oil now?? truck runs fine powerwise with trailer not connected any ideas??

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Suddenly dying like that points towards either a loss of high pressure oil pressure, fuel pressure, or some electrical issue. I wouldn't expect a wiring issue to restart like that, so I would temporarily remove that from consideration. The caveat being the CPS. Definitely try a known good International/Ford CPS as this can mimic a host of other problems.

How much diesel did you have in the tank at the time? 1/4 tank or below might point towards a busted pickup foot. Make sure your oil level is ok. Oil around the turbo wouldn't stall it but should be addressed. Having said all of that, if I had to make one guess, I'd say your IPR is biting the dust. The electromagnet can weaken with time and when hot will lose its grip. After you mess around with other things (like changing a fuel filter) it cools down enough to grip again... Having a scanner so you can watch the IP sensor data would confirm this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for quick reply! I have 2 tanks stock tank and 88 gallon in bed was on stock tank when problem started I normally run on the big tank in bed I switch tanks after dying first time to tank in bed still had issues so my guess is that's not the problem. my buddy did hook his snapon scanner up got a could codes trying to get those. the truck has always been hard starting when cold the glow plugs all check out good, just put a good starter on it and it cracks great but once fired it runs rough until warm then smoothes out also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one other thing local shop told me was I have a Banks Big Hoss chip in there was told they could go bad and cause this??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts