The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2000 Ford F350 Super Duty Lariat
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site, I am 15 years old and recently purchased a 2000 F350. I bought it off AuctionTime and the description didn’t sate the problems it had. First off, the previous owner wired a whole lot of stuff to it that shouldn’t be wired. I guess the solenoid is bad because he added a push button start. When you close the diver‘s door only one out of the two latches work so the door will part open. Then the ”door ajar“ light stays on. I even tried the Wd-40 hack. When I get to a stop the dome light stays on and sometimes doesn’t go off. The license plate lights wires are cut, the power locks don’t work and the key fob doesn’t lock the doors either. There is also an oil leak and power steering only works when you press the accelerator. Cruise control doesn’t work either. I probably wouldn’t had bought this truck if I knew of these problems but now that I have it Im not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Tire

Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Car

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive side-view mirror

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door

· Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Very good write up, well beyond the abilities of an average or typical 15 year old. You asked for "advice", this is it.
You are the new owner of a bottomless money pit, and you have not seen bottom yet. Unless money is not and it will not ever be an issue, get rid of it as fast as you can, sell it, part it out or use it as a donor truck.

Jim

· Premium Member
15,514 Posts
Well - one other point of view here. I would suggest following the adage - "How do you eat an elephant? - One bite at a time." Since none of your issues are life-threatening or overwhelming, I would ask you to put your list in order of importance to you and then we can help you tackle them one at a time. For instance, when you want to tackle the starter issue, we'll help you diagnose each component of the system so you can figure out where the original problem was and undo the previous owner's workaround.

· Registered
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 Auto CC LB 7.3 3.73 axles 4” exhaust
146 Posts
Sounds like a tractor I bought at online Auction, didn’t seem to bad initially, but when I got it home.The longer I looked at it the worse it got. I gave the tractor to my cousin and cut my losses. Glad it’s gone.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i called the previous owner yesterday and he said that the power steering had the same problem that I have, the oil he said only drips small amounts when it’s cold, cruise control worked for him, and that you have to clean the door latch and sensor for the door ajar and then the power locks work.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well - one other point of view here. I would suggest following the adage - "How do you eat an elephant? - One bite at a time." Since none of your issues are life-threatening or overwhelming, I would ask you to put your list in order of importance to you and then we can help you tackle them one at a time. For instance, when you want to tackle the starter issue, we'll help you diagnose each component of the system so you can figure out where the original problem was and undo the previous owner's workaround.
my list of importance would be:

1. Power locks and door latch/ door ajar
2. Power steering as well as the small amount of play in the wheel while driving
3. License plate lights/dome lights
4. Undo owner wiring like cv radio, gps wired through dash, old old phone charger, trailer braking mechanism.
5. Oil leak
6. Headache rack and 5th wheel ball removal

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I temporarily fixed the power lock and door latches by manually locking them with the key. I found a brake fluid leak under the steering wheel and some of the wires are wet. I also disconnected ALL the extra stuff he wired up.

· Premium Member
15,514 Posts
OK - let's work on the steering. First, you need a helper. With the key turned just enough to release the steering wheel, but with the engine off climb under the front end. Have your helper turn the steering wheel back and forth just enough to hit resistance without actually turning the tires. Put your hand on the tie rod ends, pitman arm, drag link, and ball joints to see if you feel any play anywhere. Ideally, there will be zero play. Also, check the track bar link as it looks like yours is a 4x4. Any parts that have play need to be replaced. RockAuto is a good source for parts. If you search google you can get a 5% off coupon or write back if you can't find it and I'll give you one. I personally stick to Motorcraft on my front-end stuff, although TRW and MOOG are good as well.

Reactions: Jmbllc

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Will do! I had signed up for an inspection/overview of the truck a while ago so thats tomorrow. They may do what you wrote, so maybe I’ll be able to get some answers.

· Registered
2001 F-350 CC 7.3 PSD
52 Posts
So I temporarily fixed the power lock and door latches by manually locking them with the key. I found a brake fluid leak under the steering wheel and some of the wires are wet. I also disconnected ALL the extra stuff he wired up.
Welcome to the site! You have a few decades' worth of collective wisdom, experience, and solutions available here for searching as you get into your truck. Folks here are generally helpful and always appreciate effort and learning.

Is this a project truck? A future daily driver? All of the above? ;) I've owned my '01 F-350 for nearly 20 years and agree maintenance and upkeep--especially now that the trucks are older--can get expensive. But then again, most used vehicles and everything else is expensive these days too.

Good job finding the temp solution to the door lock!

Can you clarify on the "brake fluid leak under the steering wheel?" Are you describing a leak inside the cab, under the steering column? Or brake fluid under the steering shaft near the brake master cylinder (outside the cab)? I mention this because some owners have experienced water leaks from the cowling and/or windshield. Water + any rust could look like old brake fluid. Since you mentioned wires are wet, I'm assuming you mean in the cab under the dashboard? Depending on what's getting wet, you may want to move fixing that up your priority list before electrical gremlins show up.

Again, welcome and good luck with your truck!

· Registered
2001 F-350 CC 7.3 PSD
52 Posts
Thank you for the information! The leak is in the cab under the dash.
Thanks for answering the leak question. I'd be surprised if that was brake fluid as it would be pretty tricky to get into the cab. Unless you had a leak in a hard line near the master cylinder and it was somehow spraying onto the firewall and working itself into the cab. That's a pretty remote chance.

You can find several threads here on various water leak culprits. Windshield seals are the obvious first things to check. Some owners have experienced leaks via the little screws that secure your black cowling (plastic where your windshield wipers are) and have suggested putting a dab of silicon caulk or putty on the screws. You might also inspect around your radio antenna to make sure you don't have any gaps. Another less obvious place to check is your roof. Does it have any rust holes on top? With the age of these trucks, seals and the such are breaking down if not maintained. Water finds a way. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts