The Diesel Stop banner

2000 Isuzu FRR poor performance

86K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Ryno82melb 
#1 ·
I've got an Isuzu FRR (Inline 6cyl 7.8L & Allison trasmission). 2 weeks ago my "Service Engine Soon" light came on and I suddenly had no power at all. For example, it takes 1.5 miles to reach 45mph. (And don't even ask how it does up hill). :thdown:

The dealer could clear the code, but once it was driven, the light would come one again and the poor performance was there again.

I have noticed this: When the truck is running cold, I have power. Once the truck reaches a decent operating temperature, it pops the light and I get no performance once again. I ordered a ECT sensor and will change this out (just for kicks).

What I have done so far: Changed the air filter, changed both fuel filters (with Isuzu filters). I added BG 244 and I'm at half the tank of fuel since I added the BG 244. I have also unplugged the negative battery cable to reset the computer, but the same problem occurs.

Does anyone else her have an Isuzu commercial truck? Has this happened to anyone?

The Isuzu dealer was the only shop who had the software to read the codes. And it pointed to changing the fuel filters. The mechanics opinion was that if these solutions didn't work, then it may need the injectors to be replaced. Do you think this may be the true problem? Or, are they looking for a $6,000 dollar job to come in?

Thanks much. You guys/gals are pros. It will be like Christmas to see what y'all have to say... :thumbsup:

See less See more
#4 ·
FRR Issues

I don't know if this will help or not but I had some issues with mine loosing power. I don't remember any service light coming on but what I found was a leak in one (#5) of my injector lines. It was really hard to find, even by the Fuel Injector service guys. I ended up replacing it myself. I think it cost around $35.00 bucks for the line back then and was a dealer item.
Check for any "wet" areas around the lines or injectors.

#5 ·
I don't know if this will help or not but I had some issues with mine loosing power. I don't remember any service light coming on but what I found was a leak in one (#5) of my injector lines. It was really hard to find, even by the Fuel Injector service guys. I ended up replacing it myself. I think it cost around $35.00 bucks for the line back then and was a dealer item.
Check for any "wet" areas around the lines or injectors.
Thanks for the reply. I just got my truck fixed last week. It was a fuel delivery module. (If I remember right) I'd have to look up the receipt.

What a difference...

#7 ·
im having the same problem when i called the dealer they couldnt find that part could you look up what the part number was or tell me where to find it on the truck ive been fighting this stupid truck all summer but it was just 3 days ago when i found this post i really appreciate the help thanks dean

#8 ·
Hi, I have 2001 isuzu frr, I am having same problem as you have when temperature gauge goes little over half service engine light pops then engine loosing power. If you turn off the engine and start back it runs okay for 1-2 miles then shuts off again. I replaced both fuel filters cleaned the fuel tank and fuel lines, new air filter, new fuel pressure sensor but it keeps doing that. Service manager said low fuel pressure, to fix that problem they have to go step by step then you end up paying $6000.
BROTHER JAMIN,Can you tell me where is that fuel delivery module located on the engine or what is the name of the part if I ask to buy one from isuzu dealer?
Thanks

#9 ·
Hi, I have 2001 isuzu frr, I am having same problem as you have when temperature gauge goes little over half service engine light pops then engine loosing power. If you turn off the engine and start back it runs okay for 1-2 miles then shuts off again. I replaced both fuel filters cleaned the fuel tank and fuel lines, new air filter, new fuel pressure sensor but it keeps doing that. Service manager said low fuel pressure, to fix that problem they have to go step by step then you end up paying $6000.
BROTHER JAMIN,Can you tell me where is that fuel delivery module located on the engine or what is the name of the part if I ask to buy one from isuzu dealer?
Thanks
I'm pretty sure this was all it was. It is located right under the driver seat, on the block. Hopefully my photo goes through. If not, send me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail address.

Attachments

#12 ·
Purchasing used

I'm looking to purchase a used FRR 2001 and am curious what others have to say. This one has 138k on it. I'm not familiar with diesel trucks but come from a farming background where we had diesel farm tractors and have done maintenance on small diesel utility tractors.

#13 ·
I bought my 2000 FRR with 124k miles on it January of 2007. (We now have 187k miles on it). Other than the issue I posted here, that has been my only issue. We use it pretty hard too. I have a tree service company. So my truck is always hauling a 4500lb chipper. When we chip into the back of the truck we add a lot of weight. My truck's cubic yardage capacity is 20. So, this truck is being used hard, IMO.

The nice open cab has great visibility. The turn radius is second to none. Both of these features is nice when needed. The fuel mileage is okay, but we're towing all the time. The automatic Allison transmission is awesome as well.

I'd like to see this truck do up to 250k miles, so I'm going to do a nice tune up this spring.

Hope that helps a little.

#15 · (Edited)
I bought my 2000 FRR with 124k miles on it January of 2007. (We now have 187k miles on it). Other than the issue I posted here, that has been my only issue. We use it pretty hard too. I have a tree service company. So my truck is always hauling a 4500lb chipper. When we chip into the back of the truck we add a lot of weight. My truck's cubic yardage capacity is 20. So, this truck is being used hard, IMO.

The nice open cab has great visibility. The turn radius is second to none. Both of these features is nice when needed. The fuel mileage is okay, but we're towing all the time. The automatic Allison transmission is awesome as well.

I'd like to see this truck do up to 250k miles, so I'm going to do a nice tune up this spring.

Hope that helps a little.
Should be a easy 250k for these Isuzu HD Trucks, I just passed on a FSR that had 350k miles on it and still ran like a tank.

I'm about to buy a ISUZU FRR rollback w/170k miles, after reading everyone's review, I'm not worried at all. It was either a Isuzu or a UD Nissan rollback.

BTW: What weight OIL are you guys using during OCI? Please be specific in regards to brand as well, thanks!

#19 ·
I'm having the same problem 2000 isuzu ftr when the light goes on loose power.
The previous owner changed turbo,injectors. I changed all filters battery alternator.
Everything is fine runs good except when that light goes on. Sansar41 did this work for you? Please help
Sorry for the late reply. However, yes; That is the same thing I experienced as well. We'd put the trottle to the floor and (if I remember correct) the light would come one at about 2nd gear. Simultaneously, the light would display and the power would drop.

#17 ·
My 2000 GMC WT5500 (Isuzu FRR) with auto transmission runs fine until reaching 2000 RPM when I get sudden loss of power and "Service Engine Soon" light illuminates. If I stay below 2000 rpm all is fine. For now I shut engine down then restart and all goes back to normal power level and the warning light turns off at restart. Without a load I can usually get engine to 2300 rpm but with load esp on uphill grade I will experience the same problem by 2000 rpm.
Dealer service writer told me it is turbo sensor (cheaper) or the turbo itself is failing ($1,200 replacement) Ouch!!!
What do you think? Does that cure seem correct?

#18 ·
It's a Garrett turbo which can be rebuilt for less then half of that, just google search reputable Garrett turbo re-builders.

#20 ·
Jamin or anyone...

Has anyone of you ever ran out of diesel on your Isuzu diesel, if so what did you guys do to get the air out and get the truck running again.

My truck ran out of diesel and I'm having the hardest time priming the system to get all the air out to get it restarted. Any tips?

#21 ·
Jamin or anyone...

Has anyone of you ever ran out of diesel on your Isuzu diesel, if so what did you guys do to get the air out and get the truck running again.

My truck ran out of diesel and I'm having the hardest time priming the system to get all the air out to get it restarted. Any tips?
Good question. We haven't done that, yet. But, I have done it with other diesel machinery. It's never fun. Good luck.

#22 ·
Engine type, and reliability

Guys, Jamin, Do you guys know what type and size engine comes in these FRR's ? Is it a very reliable engine?

Jamin, I also have a tree service and intend on hauling a chipper as well. Do you ever lack power when your load is full with chips with the chipper in tow? I wonder what the GVW is for this truck. and whether there are things to look out for with this motor.

Thanks a lot guys. I'm glad I found this thread. I wanna join the Isuzu club now. Happy truckin' ;)

#23 ·
Guys, Jamin, Do you guys know what type and size engine comes in these FRR's ? Is it a very reliable engine?

Jamin, I also have a tree service and intend on hauling a chipper as well. Do you ever lack power when your load is full with chips with the chipper in tow? I wonder what the GVW is for this truck. and whether there are things to look out for with this motor.

Thanks a lot guys. I'm glad I found this thread. I wanna join the Isuzu club now. Happy truckin' ;)
All I know is I have the Izuzu 6 cyl. It is 200hp. And very reliable.

I have a Bandit Model 90 and it weighs around 4,500lbs. I have a 16'x8'x4' chip box. That's close to 19 cubic yards. With all of that said, it is slow with a full load and going up a hill. But, it doesn't bother me. The truck is so reliable, I overlook that aspect.

I hope that helps.

#27 ·
2000 Isuzu FRR service engine soon light

I am having the same problem as you described. I just bought this truck, drove 400 miles home with the "service engine soon" light coming on and the power cutting in half or worse to nothing. I would start it back up and and it would be alright. It took me like 7 hours to drive that, my heart was in my stomach. The performance isn't necessarily there. It makes me feel better that others have had the problem and been able to deal with it, easily or not. I really appreciate your post and the specifics of what part it took to fix yours. Before this I felt kind of alone in this, being how I live in an area where people aren't as familiar with these trucks. Do you or anyone else have anything else to say about that problem or related problems or just simply any advice, as I am new to these trucks and need all of the information I can get, thanks a lot. :read:

#29 ·
I am having the same problem as you described. I just bought this truck, drove 400 miles home with the "service engine soon" light coming on and the power cutting in half or worse to nothing. I would start it back up and and it would be alright. It took me like 7 hours to drive that, my heart was in my stomach. The performance isn't necessarily there. It makes me feel better that others have had the problem and been able to deal with it, easily or not. I really appreciate your post and the specifics of what part it took to fix yours. Before this I felt kind of alone in this, being how I live in an area where people aren't as familiar with these trucks. Do you or anyone else have anything else to say about that problem or related problems or just simply any advice, as I am new to these trucks and need all of the information I can get, thanks a lot. :read:
I don't have too many thoughts, but, as you have experienced; diagnosing some issues that may arrise on an Isuzu truck can be difficult and expensive. I've only had minor issues with my truck, but they have always been expensive in the long run... simply because the issues weren't well known/common problems.

However, they are still very reliable and well built trucks. My next truck, for my business may be an Isuzu or Mitsubishi. --Though UD cab overs have caught my attention lately.:icon_wink:

#28 ·
Trapperjohns, Hope U solved your problem. I returned my FRR to the local Ford/Isuzu dealer after about a month because the problem came up again. Dealer replaced 2 more injectors and now I have had no problems at all for months. these trucks can be expensive if a problem arises but I still think the truck is dependable, more so than other trucks I have had. It seems the replacing of the other items only delayed the existing problem but all is A OK now. I figure I can go back to earning $$ with my FRR so I can pay off the last 2 dealer visits and keep bread on the family table. I would hate to replace all the injectors since they are not cheap. Best of luck

#30 ·
Yeah, I was originally looking for Ford LCF's they really caught my eye, still do. But I have what I have and I have a friend in my area who owns an FRR too, so I will live with it and learn. I bought the truck with a few more miles on it than I would have liked, (186,000) and bought it because it was already up-fitted mostly to my liking, (14' dump bed). So I am changing all of the filtering out, fluids and checking codes. I am spending a lot in just small stuff, but I hope the big stuff can be postponed.

#34 ·
I've got an Isuzu FRR (Inline 6cyl 7.8L & Allison trasmission). 2 weeks ago my "Service Engine Soon" light came on and I suddenly had no power at all. For example, it takes 1.5 miles to reach 45mph. (And don't even ask how it does up hill). :thdown:

The dealer could clear the code, but once it was driven, the light would come one again and the poor performance was there again.

I have noticed this: When the truck is running cold, I have power. Once the truck reaches a decent operating temperature, it pops the light and I get no performance once again. I ordered a ECT sensor and will change this out (just for kicks).

What I have done so far: Changed the air filter, changed both fuel filters (with Isuzu filters). I added BG 244 and I'm at half the tank of fuel since I added the BG 244. I have also unplugged the negative battery cable to reset the computer, but the same problem occurs.

Does anyone else her have an Isuzu commercial truck? Has this happened to anyone?

The Isuzu dealer was the only shop who had the software to read the codes. And it pointed to changing the fuel filters. The mechanics opinion was that if these solutions didn't work, then it may need the injectors to be replaced. Do you think this may be the true problem? Or, are they looking for a $6,000 dollar job to come in?

Thanks much. You guys/gals are pros. It will be like Christmas to see what y'all have to say... 👍
I am having the same problem 2003 frr light comes on looses power turn key off and back on problem goes away till next time it shows 226 and 227 code does anyone know the fix

#42 · (Edited)
I’m having the exact same issue as poster, but I changed the fuel pressure limited but still no success

runs absolutely beautiful when cold, as soon as weather warms up, the service engine light comes on and goes into limp mode when giving it more power/acceleration.

parts changed
Fuel pressure limiter
Fuel pressure sensor
Engine coolant sensor
Water pump
Radiator
Thermostats x2
Alternator
Speed sensor (rear of transmission)
Crank angle sensor
6 injectors removed and tested at diesel shop, all came back good.
Oil pressure sensor
Boost pressure sensor
Engine oil and filters
Transmission oil
Fuel filters both

im Having a hard time reading codes as I can’t find anyone in Melbourne australia that has the adapter for my OBD. But I do get 226 flash code.

could this be a fuel pump issue? Truck starts first time every time even after sitting for a day or two.

Takes a while for the light to come on in cold weather, but happens pretty much within 15 mins in warmer weather.

please help!
2005 isuzu frr 525 220hp 6hk1 6 speed
Manual MLD6Q trans

#44 ·
I’m having the exact same issue as poster, but I changed the fuel pressure limited but still no success runs absolutely beautiful when cold, as soon as weather warms up, the service engine light comes on and goes into limp mode when giving it more power/acceleration. parts changed Fuel pressure limiter Fuel pressure sensor Engine coolant sensor Water pump Radiator Thermostats x2 Alternator Speed sensor (rear of transmission) Crank angle sensor 6 injectors removed and tested at diesel shop, all came back good. Oil pressure sensor Boost pressure sensor Engine oil and filters Transmission oil Fuel filters both im Having a hard time reading codes as I can’t find anyone in Melbourne australia that has the adapter for my OBD. But I do get 226 flash code. could this be a fuel pump issue? Truck starts first time every time even after sitting for a day or two. Takes a while for the light to come on in cold weather, but happens pretty much within 15 mins in warmer weather. please help! 2005 isuzu frr 525 220hp 6hk1 6 speed Manual MLD6Q trans
Hey mate did you find the problem and someone to read codes? Im in Melbourne too any help appreciated thanks