The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electric locks don't work well enough...and were not remote anyway.
1. Is there a quick repair for the stock locks?
and/or
2. Is there an upgrade available to get remote locks?

They make noise but don't lock or unlock like they used to and this is causing problems...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sounds like the door lock actuators are worn out and need replaced. You can check rock auto or amazon for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
I replaced mine with Autonation Ford about 3 yesrs ago.

I don’t recall Ford being much more expensive.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
If you do a search, guys would pull the stock lock and had a nice fix for them. First one takes a bit after that it is not bad.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Stock upgrade for remote locks.

I researched this a few months back. There is a VSM (Vehicle Security Module) box behind the radio with three plug-in connectors that require a 10-mm deep socket to access.

You typically need to get them flashed at Ford for around $120.

My notes indicate the P/N costs about $220 and is possibly: 4C7Z15604AC

***Please confirm P/N before ordering.***

This might atleast give you a direction to further search. Please let me know what you find.
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-alarm-keyless-lock-system-4c7z15604ac

I hope to find a used one from a wrecker. Denver is full of guys parting them out.

But this VSM would be jn addition to your current issue of worn out actuators.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input, I'll check into it and make a plan.
I wonder if there is an aftermarket option also?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My power door locks work again. They hadn't worked in years. Once I put in the new Odyssey batteries, they started working again. I guess these batteries have so much power that the door locks work even though the actuators are weak. That was an unexpected bonus of the Odyssey batteries.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
My power door locks work again. They hadn't worked in years. Once I put in the new Odyssey batteries, they started working again. I guess these batteries have so much power that the door locks work even though the actuators are weak. That was an unexpected bonus of the Odyssey batteries.
Next you’re going to be telling us those AGMs regrow bald spots.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Next you’re going to be telling us those AGMs regrow bald spots.
Hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should try hooking them up to my head. 0:):nerd:>:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
That is great on the door locks. To funny on the bald spot and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the cheapest thing to do is just replace the actuators, not sure I would rebuild 18 year old plastic pieces. I called a local stereo shop who said given good actuators already, 180 to convert to keyless entry and 230 gets that and an alarm system. 70 for each actuator, all are installed prices.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
First actuator was a time consuming PIA. Other side was much easier...Lol

But I would gladly pay $70 for someone else to install them. I seem to recall my hands were scraped up like a feral cat attacked me.

I wonder if that aftermarket alarm system is a decent security system?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm sure I could do it myself but the video kind of discourages me, not of fan of many small parts in confined spaces.
Then the issue of getting quality actuators...been burned recently on stuff claiming to be oem but then it's not.
I'll visit them and see what they offer. What makes a decent system?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny how when you show up in person the price goes up...$125 per actuator now. I think I'll do it myself.
The alarm system quoted was the basic code alarm unit. It all added up to over $450.
Now to find good actuators...

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Door Actuator Replacement

Replaced all four actuators on my 2000 F-350 this spring. Bought all four actuators online for $45. Took over two hours to do the first door and was able to do the rest of the doors a lot quicker (learning curve). Before they made a little noise and tried to move but non of them would work, after I changed them out they all work well. I just changed out the actuators and didn't want to fiddle with trying to open to old ones up and repair them. So for about $50. and a little you tube time and a Saturday you can replace them yourself.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, ordered some oem ones from autonation ford. The stock ones lasted over 16 years so...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I got most of the passenger side done. Forgot to mention my jimmi jammers, which added some confusion. Now the door latch is looser than before and part of the JJ does not fit like it used to...hope to figure it out tomorrow on the other side.
Been having record high temps lately, so morning work it is...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All done and good now, at least for the door locks. Not too much blood loss...lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts