The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right forum, so please let me know if it should go somewhere else.

My goal is to get a functional serial interface to the DLC. From what I can tell, the PCM talks in J1850-PWM but uses a non-standard data stream - so any OBDII-compliant code scanner will recognize it and sync, but will usually not get useful data. I should be able to handle the physical signaling just fine (going from PWM at 41.6 KB/sec to a common serial interface like UART). Problem is I don't know what to do with that data stream, or how to talk back to the PCM. Does anyone have a protocol specification, or even know the name of the protocol?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay after doing some reading, it looks like Ford uses what they call SCP (standard corporate protocol). J1850-PWM was defined as a subset of SCP. I should be able to use an ELM327 (probably) to get a translated data stream from the bus, or program my own PIC to get a raw datastream. But I don't have any idea how most of the protocol works. So does anyone have specifications on SAE J1850-PWM or SCP (which would be even better)?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I don't have much on the actual mode 6 data or how it gets translated to something readable, but this site lists a lot of info on the OBD systems and says that you can see what the mode 6 data means.

Motorcraft Technical Resource

I picked a couple of years at random, but couldn't see much about the mode 6 data. What I know I've learned from others: TID 53 is constant misfire info (sometimes TID 52, depending on year). I'd love to know more, but I'm not much for programming like that...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have much on the actual mode 6 data or how it gets translated to something readable, but this site lists a lot of info on the OBD systems and says that you can see what the mode 6 data means.

Motorcraft Technical Resource

I picked a couple of years at random, but couldn't see much about the mode 6 data. What I know I've learned from others: TID 53 is constant misfire info (sometimes TID 52, depending on year). I'd love to know more, but I'm not much for programming like that...
Thanks... that might just tell me enough of the code mapping to get some progress.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
This is all I have:

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
a long long road ahead of you
i can point you to some videos that might help you
The good news is he posted this 3 years ago and so he has a good head start ?

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts