The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for my coolant temp to be running at 250 degrees, while just idling and just started.

·
Premium Member
15,120 Posts
Where are you getting that number? If it's from a OBD2 port linked gauge, then know that unless you have a manual transmission, that's a fictitious number. The PCM doesn't monitor coolant temp. Switch to watching engine oil temp. That one is real.

If you have a gauge and you're seeing actual 250 degrees, then you've got a major problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you getting that number? If it's from a OBD2 port linked gauge, then know that unless you have a manual transmission, that's a fictitious number. The PCM doesn't monitor coolant temp. Switch to watching engine oil temp. That one is real.

If you have a gauge and you're seeing actual 250 degrees, then you've got a major problem.

Yes, I am reading it from a SCT Livewire. Why wouldn't that number be real?? It

·
Premium Member
15,120 Posts
It isn't real because there is no physical connection between the coolant temperature switch (it's not even a true sender) and the PCM. The number you are seeing is some generated aberration. The coolant temperature switch only connects to the gauge on the cluster.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Who knows what its measuring. It basically generates that number

·
Super Moderator
26,507 Posts
Yeah, I've had AE tell me that my coolant temp was way below ambient temp. Like that could happen. I learned early on to ignore it.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
What is it measuring then?
It's doing a quick pick for tonight's lottery drawing.:grin2:

On a more serious note, I've seen some scanners/apps display their own max preset gauge parameter, when no real value is present in PCM. Hence a steady 250, even on start up.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
:grin2: I know nothing! Not a 6 speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts