The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 F550 with a TON of miles on it, 398ooo. Got a few questions

I believe the truck needs injectors and glow plugs, how bad of a job is that?

Got a small exhaust leak under the hood, can see some smoke when cranking. Sounds like a manifold leak on a gas motor. I looked at a few 7.3’s that day and they all had this tick. Guessing it’s common?

Lastly, the SES light is on but my code reader won’t communicate with it. Have tried a few others with the same outcome. Is there another way to pull the codes?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,604 Posts
Injectors and glow plugs aren't that bad. There is definitely a learning curve. There are several good write-ups that will help. Here's one - https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/content/RESOURCES/Riffraff_Diesel_7.3L_Injector_Replacement_Instructions.pdf
Some tricks - put the injectors back in first. Use a vacuum tool (turkey baster, mityvac) to remove as much oil as possible, then rotate the engine over by hand at least two times with the glow plugs out. Then, temporarily plug in the 42 pin harness and go bump the starter a few times. Then crank on the engine (still with glow plugs out) until you hear the HPOP load up. You'll notice the RPM slows slightly. Then glow plugs back in and button it up. This trick (by Kevin) helps move the air out of the high-pressure oil lines ensuring a quick start-up without burning through a set of batteries doing it the old way.

All diesels tic - that's normal. Where is the white smoke coming from? If you think you have an exhaust leak, go looking for soot trails.

The Powerstroke is not a standard OBDII set up. You'll need a scanner that is PowerStroke compatible. AutoEnginuity with the Ford enhancement or ForScan are two of the more popular ones. Forscan will run on your iOS device or Android device using a ELM357 OBDII interface. Both are cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

One other question I have is in regards to the clutch. I’ve had this problem only here in Colorado while pulling the big mountain passes. The clutch “goes out” and you can’t go anywhere until it cools down. Seems as if the clutch fluid is boiling.

The clutch itself seems fine unless you’re hammering up the pass. Is there a remedy for this?

There is a small hole in the firewall under the dash from some old wiring that went thru and when it acts up i can feel some serious heat coming in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing now that I’m thinking of it. How do the 7.3’s respond to a Titanium FASS pump? I’ve always had them on my Duramax trucks and they seemed to like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts