The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Ford F-350 7.3 Powerstroke
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a 2001 7.3 with a no crank issue. I received this truck as a Graduation Gift and it has been sitting for about 2 years. It was running when it was parked and it has a broken tie rod and some other issues that need to be dealt with but I want to get it started before putting money into the rest of it. I bought a new starter relay because I was told it would randomly start cranking in the middle of the night. After replacing the relay I tried to jump the starter and nothing. my next idea is to take the starter off to see if it works. I'm working on a tight budget.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You should be able to jump power directly to the starter solenoid jumping the large post on the relay. If the starter doesn't do anything you can also take a hammer to "tap" on the starter motor and is if that helps and a temp check. Also make sure the terminals are in good shape and clean connections.

Some videos, not the "best" on the web but there is some good basic knowledge you can pick up.
7.3L FORD POWERSTROKE NO CRANKING DIAGNOSTICS 1 OF 2
7.3L FORD POWERSTROKE NO CRANKING DIAGNOSTICS 2 OF 2

If 2001 doesn't have the external relay look at this one, my 99 has a fender one, and my 02 doesn't not sure on an 01
Ford f350 super duty, jump out starter Solenoid

·
Super Moderator
26,507 Posts
First thing I would do is confirm that you have good voltage at the batteries. If they have sat for 2 years, they may be dead as the proverbial doornail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I do know that the batteries are dead and have been using jumper cables from another SD so I have the voltage. I have already replaced the starter solenoid and am getting a starter and new batteries today after the "complications" I had removing the old starter yesterday. I will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
393 Posts
"Dead" batteries will not charge enough with cables to start the truck, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I put a new starter in it with a new starter solenoid and a brand new and one used battery I knew was good. I had it crank once and then I went to crank it again and all I could hear was the starter solenoid clicking. Any ideas we have had a lot of rain so it's been hard to find time to work on the thing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
YOu aren't getting enough current, sounds like. Either one battery is bad, or you have bad connections.

·
Premium Member
9,593 Posts
A bad battery will draw down a good one, you would be better off just trying it with the single good battery and jumper cables.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are supposed to get more rain today so I don't know if I will get any time to work on it but my next plan was to wire brush all of the connections and I know that the one battery is new and the other battery is good. The other one I took out of a running same year SD and it's the same size as the other one. I know that is charged but I will also use jumper cables just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I got the truck started and it is running beautifully. I ended up replacing one of the battery terminal ends and I'm going to do the rest of them soon. I took the starter back off and brushed where it connects to the transmission and I clean the connections to the starter again. Now it's time to do Tierods, Shifting linkage, and some brake lines to get it roadworthy. I'll keep you guys updated. Thank you so much to everyone who has helped so far. My grandfather has had 4+ people try to get it started and spent a lot of money on it and nobody could fix it and that's why it sat for 2 years. he had given up on it. he was about to send it to the junkyard and gave me the opportunity to take it and we saved it from the junkyard. Thank you so much again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts