The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck in question here is a 2001 Powerstroke. At highway speeds, it starts to get a tremble in the steering wheel and begins to loose power. It continues to loose power until it finally dies. You can pull off and shut the key off and let it sit about 5 minutes and then it cranks up and runs fine. It starts to loose power as soon as you get up to speed. It does this every time you get onto the highway.

Any help or input in this matter is greatly appreciated.

We replaced the fuel filter and fuel supply pump and it still does it.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one ever had a similar issue?

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Sounds to me like either the fuel pump is taking a dive, or the fuel filter needs replacing.

May sound dumb, but check the oil too, the oil runs the injectors and if it starts to get low, it will shut down on you.

· Registered
6,005 Posts
sure sounds like fuel pump to me, they make bad ones too.

· Registered
593 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
At highway speeds, it starts to get a tremble in the steering wheel and begins to loose power. It continues to loose power until it finally dies. You can pull off and shut the key off and let it sit about 5 minutes and then it cranks up and runs fine. It starts to loose power as soon as you get up to speed. It does this every time you get onto the highway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check for codes to aid in diagnosis.
I haven't heard of a fuel problem causing a tremble in the steering wheel before.
If the bowl has fuel in it after it dies I would look elsewhere.
Auto or manual? Fill in your signature it may help...R

· Registered
920 Posts
Welcome to TDS. You possibly could be having a oil foaming problem. What kind of oil are you using and has it been changed on time?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. It has an auto BTS trans in it.
We replaced the fuel pump and filter yesterday and it acted the exact same way. I was thinkin maybe I am havin a HPOP problem. I honestley dont know when the oil was changed last but will check on that.
I do know that the oil brand is the same as the last 235,000 miles of this truck.
It does set the Service Enine Light but I am unable to read it with my CAN enabled OBD2 scan tool. It comes back each time no codes recieved?

· Registered
55 Posts
The oil has less than 500 miles on it and the oil type is Schaeffer 7000 15w-40.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was the filter in the tank. Go figure. This was I guess just normal wear and tear kind of stuff. 230,000 miles

· Registered
920 Posts
I thought about mentioning that but it's a pretty uncommom problem. Here lately it semms a couple others have had the same problem.
Glad you found it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.