The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving the truck, went to pass a car slowing to turn, as I accelerated, I heard a loud bang, no forward or reverse gears. When the engine is running, if I put it in gear, it engages the pump, you can see the RPM change. I lost no fluid, the trans did not leave a giant fluid spill on the road. I'm guessing tail shaft on trans or input shaft on transfer case. I drain the t-case and I can see the chain is still intact. I haven't had time to pull the t-case yet. Has anyone had this issue? If so, what was the end result? I do't think I need a new trans. The tranny does have a shift kit, I do have a programmer. I was running the 80 ecno tune from DP at the time. I am not blaming the program, just giving info.

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
Put it in park and see if you can push it.

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
The pump is engaged when the engine is running. It doesn't engage when you put it in gear. The RPM change you see is because the computer lowers the idle speed when it sees the shifter move into gear.

There are several things that could have broken. Once the trans is out and torn down you'll know. Anything now is just a guess.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pump is engaged when the engine is running. It doesn't engage when you put it in gear. The RPM change you see is because the computer lowers the idle speed when it sees the shifter move into gear.

There are several things that could have broken. Once the trans is out and torn down you'll know. Anything now is just a guess.
That indicates that I didn't break the input shaft. I'm looking to see if anyone has had this problem. I would, like most people, prefer to NOT tear apart a transmission that doesn't need it. I appreciated the input.

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
You might have broken the input shaft. The pump is not driven off the input shaft, it is driven from the torque converter hub. I'm pretty sure you didn't break the output shaft, I've never seen one of those break. But there are several parts in between those two shafts that could break and cause what you have.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mark, it may not be what I want to hear, but thank you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vehicle will not roll in park. I just had a neighbor help me try to push it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark, you're basically saying I won't know for sure until the trans is out of the vehicle? :-(

·
Premium Member
15,129 Posts
The vehicle will not roll in park. I just had a neighbor help me try to push it.

Mark will verify, but I think that rules out the transfer case and the output shaft. That leaves internal tranny woes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a bad converter do just that you describe. Input shaft took the teeth right out of the converter.

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
That proves the problem is inside the transmission, not in the transfer case.

Mark, you're basically saying I won't know for sure until the trans is out of the vehicle? :-(
I'm not basically saying that. I said that exactly. We can sit here and speculate as to exactly what broke, but nobody knows for certain until the trans is out and the parts inspected. No matter what broke the answer is always pull the trans and tear it down to fix it.

Reactions: dwright5460
1 - 11 of 11 Posts