The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 F250 7.3 lariat 4x4 automatic transmission
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 f250 with the 7.3. Stock engine with approx 250k miles. Automatic transmission.

Cylinder 5 shows symptoms of a stuck injector. I unplugged the injector, and the white smoke went away. Plug it back in and it returns. Only one code has pulled and it is a p0275. Thinking it was just the injector, I swapped that injector with another one I had. It still smoked. Thinking maybe the other injector was bad, I swapped a known working injector from the drivers side and still have the same results. I have also swapped the uvch harnesses side to side with the same results.

I'm starting to pull my hair on this one.

Buzz test sounds great, really strong actually. Cylinder contribution test pulls that code p0275. Oil is fresh and fuel filter is also.

Anyone have any idea why cylinder 5 would just stick every injector open that I put in that hole?

·
Super Moderator
25,864 Posts
It's likely a compression issue as opposed to a fuel injection issue. You should do a compression check. I'll bet you'll find a problem in that #5 cylinder. A leakdown test will let you know whether the problem is rings or valves.

FYI the buzz test only checks the electrical side of the injectors. They can be internally messed up, but still buzz nicely.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'll see about getting a compression test done on it. I really hope it isn't something mechanical wrong with that cylinder, the smoke is definitely raw fuel smelling, and very white.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I tested compression in cylinder 5, it said zero. Pulled the injector, slapped it back in and compression came back and the smoke went away. Truck actually ran really good. Drove it about 50 miles and the white smoke came back. Did cylinder contribution test and it said cylinder 5. Pulled the valve cover, unplugged the injector and the smoke went away. I looked at the injector cup and it looked a little worse for wear, so I changed the cup. Put it back together, and no smoke. Came out this morning and fired it up, and cylinder 5 is smoking again. How do I gain compression then lose it? Any ideas?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Take a real good look at the injector o rings

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and replaced those when I did the injector cup. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would the copper washer cause this? I replaced it too, but the friend that was standing there told me I put it on upside down. I just read a forum that says I was correct in the orientation three way I originally had it before he convinced me to flip it over.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Have you looked at #5 with the engine running and the valve cover off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. I went ahead and pulled the rockers and found the rear push rod slightly bent. Going to go ahead and replace both and see if compression comes back

·
Super Moderator
25,864 Posts
A bent intake valve push rod would cause low compression, but probably not zero.
The copper washer can be put on either direction. If you had leaks by the copper washer, you would have seen evidence of that on the lower part of the injector and/or the lowest o-ring.
Pulling the injector would have put some oil in the cylinder, which would have sealed up leaking piston rings temporarily.
Usually a zero compression reading would indicate a badly leaking valve, a broken ring or a hole in the piston. The latter two would mean a complete teardown.
Hopefully fixing the bent pushrod takes care of your issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it didn't fix it completely. It was still smoking and had a miss. I ran a contribution and it said cylinder 8 this time. Nothing about cylinder 5. And icp pressure to high or to low. Disconnected icp and the smoke went away but I have a miss still.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sounds like you may have a bad IPR, is there oil in the plug? The miss may be air in the hp oil system from the injector work that needs to work itself out.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking the miss was from air in fuel or oil from the injector as well. But as I drove it to clear it out, the miss got worse. I too think the ipr is weak at best. Duty cycle is 7 at idle and doesn't get over 12 until higher rpms are reached. But nonetheless, the miss is much worse now. Feels like one entire bank is dead even though cylinder contribution is showing only cylinder 8.

Could a bad idm produce want of these symptoms?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, the icp is working, and I do not see oil in the plug, I think the ipr is going out. Truck starts and runs, but it is horrible.

·
Super Moderator
25,864 Posts
Cylinder 8 CCT failure is common to the newer Ford CPS. That's not a concern if you have the Grey recall CPS.
Low IPR readings could mean obstructions in the edge filter in the outlet passage of the IPR. It's held in place by the "unserviceable" plug on the bottom side of the HPOP. Obstructions there can cause the HP oil pressure to be above what the ICP is calling for. Idle IPR should be around 10-12% and 30% plus at hard acceleration. In order to fix the edge filter, you'll have to remove the HPOP. Diesel Orings has some info on how to fix that plug.
A bad IDM would show a code if it was causing one bank to be dead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The code it pulled was icp pressure is to high or to low. My ae scanner showed it was low. The only time I saw "normal" readings on icp or ipr was while driving, but even then, they still seemed low. I should have recorded the data so I could see it better after driving it. I'll research the unserviceable plug. As far as the cps goes, I cannot remember which one is in the pickup, but I have a grey one in the glove box. I'm almost certain the one on the engine now is grey, but I cannot remember.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I went out this morning to fire up the pickup to move it closer to the shop. Cranked and cranked. I cycled the key 3 times and got what sounded like a faint back fire, turned the engine over and it fired right up. It seems like the glow plugs are delayed in firing. Any ideas on that?

·
Premium Member
9,205 Posts
Without reading through everything have you test the glow plug relay and not just for 12 volts but the voltage drop across both of the terminals?

Cycling the key and glow plugs does no good unless you wait until the glow plug relay shuts off. On a cold start they will stay on for up to 2 minutes after you turn the key on

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well that makes the issue even more confusing. Why would it take so long to ignite and then as soon as the little backfire happens, it will ignite right off. Almost seems like the glow plug relay forgets what it is doing then finally catches up. I have not tested it, I did replace it about a year ago.

·
Registered
1999 ford f250
7 Posts
If you turn the key on and the wait to start light come on and then as soon as it goes out and then you repeat the glow plugs are not up to temp which can contribute to hard starting. If you have a volt meter put it on one battery turn the key on and the voltage should drop to 11.2~11.7 roughly then just wait till the voltage jumps back up and see if it starts better(y)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts