The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been reading where folks are using WD40 on their fuel pedal units because it’s not responding and the Diesel engine just continues to idle. Mine was doing that last week and I couldn’t get it to do anything but idle. I haven’t seen in any of the posts just where we are supposed to spray the WD40 on the pedal unit. (Does anyone know where to spray the unit)? It could at least help someone in a jamb to get home or to a safe area.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Worth a try, I don't think it would hurt, but I would try an electrical contact cleaner that might work better like DeoxIT, I have replaced both my 99.5 and 02 in the past, so they don't last forever.

I was asking if anyone knew where to spray the unit with the (whatever) spray you wanna use?
not much lasts forever these days. We all know that. 😂

Reactions: Flounder_Pounder

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve looked up the unit. Cheaper in some places, expensive in others. I just thought it would be nice to know where they are talking about spraying the thing because this kind of thing can happen when folks least expect it and you could be in the middle of nowhere. It looks Like a sealed unit. I couldn’t figure out where I could get spray in it. 😜

· Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I’ve been reading where folks are using WD40 on their fuel pedal units because it’s not responding and the Diesel engine just continues to idle. Mine was doing that last week and I couldn’t get it to do anything but idle. I haven’t seen in any of the posts just where we are supposed to spray the WD40 on the pedal unit. It could at least help someone in a jamb to get home or to a safe area.
Something for consideration, there was a throttle pedal assembly recall on the 2002's, maybe other years as well. Ford did mine. If your unit, by VIN #, has never had the recall correction one should be able to get the assembly and installation done by Ford under that old recall.
If so, having a new, free assembly would be a good thing in any case

Reactions: cellfisha

· Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Well, I just found out that there is a 15 year limit on recall repair, starting after the sale to first owner.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn’t matter to me anyway. I’d rather buy the unit and install it myself then let anyone at the dealership touch my truck. I do any work on my truck that I can do, period. At least I know what I’ve got when it’s finished. 🙃

· Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Doesn’t matter to me anyway. I’d rather buy the unit and install it myself then let anyone at the dealership touch my truck. I do any work on my truck that I can do, period. At least I know what I’ve got when it’s finished. 🙃
I am basically that way myself, mostly because I like doing for myself and can. I have had good and bad experiences with dealership Service quality but I could say that with many businesses. Heck, I could say that about my own Service business. Proud of some projects on a technical basis, happy with some on a financial basis but not quality and grateful just to escape the clutches of customer blame-it-isms on others.
With the Ford pedal replacement it's an R&R that's a 1 out of 10 difficulty.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. After changing injectors and all that is involved, changing the pedal is a walk in the park. lol

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My truck has the adjustable pedals. Wow… are they proud of those things. Does anyone know if I can replace parts on the assembly or have to replace the entire $600 pedal Assembly?

· Administrator
25,086 Posts
Dorman used to sell some parts for the accelerator pedal assembly. Unfortunately it looks like they now only sell the complete assembly for the non-adjustable pedal.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the info klhansen.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the pig tails for these fuel pedal assemblies (adjustable and fixed) the same? I’ve been looking at pictures of the assemblies online but none of them really show the connections. My truck has the adjustable pedals but I never use that. It would be nice to replace it with a fixed unit if I can.

· Administrator
25,086 Posts
The earlier (99-01 IIRC) pedals had two connectors, one for the IVS and one for the position sensor. The later fixed pedals just had one connector with 5 wires for both functions. I imagine there would be more wires for the motor that moves the pedal assembly. Never seen one of those animals. But a guy could probably adapt the fixed pedal assembly. Unless it mounts with the brake pedal bracket that moves.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve been looking at pig tails and it looks like the fixed 99-01 and 03 are 3 leads. The 01-03 has 10 leads. Kinda crazy for that many extra wires just to move a pedal up and back. 😳 I suppose if I were a wiring genius I could wire the fixed pedal in there, but I’m not, so…. 😝🤪

· Administrator
25,086 Posts
These might help

Attachments

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you Klhansen. 🙂

· Registered
4 Posts
I agree. And you don't even need to buy the seriously overpriced OEM Ford pedal assembly. I just did mine and saved over $100. by buying the Dorman DOR699-203 "accelerator pedal position sensor" unit from O'Reilly's for $129. Easy job, 3 bolts, done in less than 10 minutes taking my time......

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree. And you don't even need to buy the seriously overpriced OEM Ford pedal assembly. I just did mine and saved over $100. by buying the Dorman DOR699-203 "accelerator pedal position sensor" unit from O'Reilly's for $129. Easy job, 3 bolts, done in less than 10 minutes taking my time......
what kind of truck do you have dieselDon?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts