The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002, 7.3, 237,000 miles, generally stock engine....I've got a slow oil leak that looks like the rear head plug. I have been told the worst case might be a cracked head.

The usual suspect have all materialized and been fixed over the last 3 years, (i.e., the high pressure oil lines and pump seals, the turbo pedestal has been replaced with a non back pressure valve unit).

The local IH guys tried 3 times to fix the thing (twice on their nickel) and are the ones talking about a crack. This is after trying to replace the plug twice. I think they're being strait with me.

The object is to make this one last because I believe the 7.3 Power Stroke is a good one and I've got a few bucks tied up in the tranny rebuild, brakes, steering head etc. (locking torque converter, clutches, frozen rotors, red head gear)

The questions are:

1. Is it possible that the plug seat is just the culprit?
2. What's the cheap way out?
3. What's the best way out?
4. If I replace the heads at 237,000 miles should I bite the bullet for an in frame build?
5. Any Comments are welcome...

Thanks.....dan g.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
If the leak is indeed around the oil rail plug and they've replaced the plug (you said attempted), then the logical explanation is a cracked head. That would be worst case.

If the bore where the plug goes just has a defect, you might be able to polish it so it would seal, but that would probably take pulling the head. because inspecting at the rear between the head and firewall is a giant PITA.

The cheap (and best, IMO) way out is to have a good used head on hand, pull yours and check closely for cracks. BTW, there's no such thing as an in-frame rebuild for a 7.3L in a Superduty. The engine really has to come out for the pan to come off and be reinstalled properly. If you pull the head that's causing problems, you'll likely still be able to see the hatching in the cylinder walls. If you really want to check the engine condition, do a compression test before pulling everything apart. You'll probably find that it's still in good shape.

Actually the cheapest way out if everything else is good, is to just keep putting oil in it and wipe up the leak occasionally. You said it was just a slow leak.

Welcome to TheDieselStop

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks friend.....I've never cracked open an oil burner, but I did the other stuff with some help on the tranny. BTW, one man's problem is another's opportunity. I'll be checking into 'good heads' and will probably replace them both....dg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts