The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back while traveling to the mountains on I 40 in NC, I was pulling my 5th wheel camper (dry) in overdrive at average 60 mph. Weather= warm, dry little wind. After driving for 3+ hours I exited the interstate and pulled up to a stop sign on the exit ramp. When traffic cleared I put foot on accelerator and truck would NOT move. It made very loud screaming noises like a jet engine when I pressed the pedal. NO movement. After blocking that intersection for about 30 minutes a cop arrived and told me to move the truck. I still wouldn't move. After about 45 minutes of sitting (engine off) I restarted engine and put it in gear and it moved off like normal. I went to a Ford dealer in the edge of the town and asked them to help me and they told me they were too busy to help me.

My question: Why would the transmission stop working when I exited the freeway. Does this 2002 transmission have problems like this all the time. The return trip was made with 'overdrive' turned off and it slipped at a couple stop lights when I started up again. The ford dealer where I purchased the truck drained the fluid [$385] and told me it was just fine.

Do or have others had problems with the A/T on the 2002 F350 7.3 overheating and not engaging when pulling a load/ Ford guys had no answers.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Congrats on such a low-mileage 7.3 !

Do you have a transmission Temp guage installed? Any idea what your Trans Fluid Temp (TFT) was at the time? Or your Engine Oil Temp (EOT) ?

When the engine gets warm enough to engage the fan clutch, it sounds like a jet engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts