The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, i have an 02 f250 6 speed with 143k miles. I dont drive the truck much but always like to fiddle with it. I have an edge evo programmer on tow mode. I rarely get over 1k temp on exhaust but i still would like to do something to improve the stock exhaust for temp and power. What are my legal options with a calif truck with a cat? Do the changes make any real difference or should i just leave it alone if there is only a marginal difference?
thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
It makes a huge difference! Just install a 4" and you will instantly feel and hear the turbo finally work as it should.
Ford really stuck it to us with there 1 type muffler fits all BS !!!! I have PSD trucks and none of them have the stock exhaust systems on them !!!!!!! That is one of the first upgrades I do to all my trucks .

Too bad HOG exhaust went out of business a few years ago..... Best looking and fitting system I have seen and heard ! My 00 F550 and 02 F350 have their system on them and the look and sound better than any other system that I have seen. Check out Silverline , RRD sells them and I believe this is the next best .

·
Registered
561 Posts
Have you confirmed you actually have a cat on there? Usually you would only find cats on E99 trucks. Anyway, if you do have a factory cat it will need to stay there for visual inspection come smog time. A lot of guys clear/hollow them out though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My 01 6-speed had the cat. Just replaced my 15 year old Dynomax exhaust with a 409 MBRP last week. The fit is great and sound it just perfect, not too loud and aggressive enough to sound good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 01 6-speed had the cat. Just replaced my 15 year old Dynomax exhaust with a 409 MBRP last week. The fit is great and sound it just perfect, not too loud and aggressive enough to sound good.
Yes, all 6 speeds have a cat and i have one. Has anyone in calif done a complete turbo back, reinstalled the cat and smogged their truck?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not for nothing, but what tranny the truck came with does not dictate a cat or not. Examples, I bought all my truck new:

00 F550 6spd - not cat.
02 F350 DRW 4spd auto - no cat.
02 F350 SRW 6spd - no cat.

Regardless, even with a cat ( I would bounce it if I could ) Get a 304 SS system they do not rust ! - 409 will, and do rust !

And I live in Upstate NY.......

·
Registered
459 Posts
I saw a real world drop of 75-80 degrees in my exhaust gas temperature (EGT) while towing, by just installing a straight flow through muffler on my stock 3.5" system.

Immediately I noticed the turbo spooled more freely, once I changed the muffler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts