The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my truck I have an oil leak is coming on the drivers side that looks like it is coming from somewhere under the water pump. It is not coming from the top of the motor and is not the oil cooler. It not doing it under idea only when driving.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Front cover or the HPOP gasket. Or a number of other places that are hidden by all the accessories on these trucks.

I'd make sure that it isn't the high pressure oil gallery plug on the end of the head or one of the plugs on the high pressure oil system.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will try and take a better look in the next few days. Going to clean and pressure wash it the start looking again.

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks panhrad I will check them all tomorrow I know it is not the oil cooler or hypop lines they have all been replaced in the last year

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have a 2002 Ford F250 7.3 4x4.
Your leak could be coming from the oil pan itself or the seal between the oil pan and the engine block. These engines are notorious for oil pans rusting thru. If it is your oil pan, I recommend the Moroso Ford 7.3L Powerstroke oil pan.
Four months ago I had my engine pulled to replace the oil pan. While the engine was out I had the following preventative repairs made: exhaust manifolds pulled to replace the exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets; the oil cooler was rebuilt with new O-Rings and gaskets; replaced the rear main oil seal, pulled the injectors to replace all the injector cups; and replaced the oil dipstick tube and mount to the oil pan.
It was a total success. I no longer have any oil leaks.
Good luck! I know how hard it can be tracking down oil leaks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not the oil pain I am thinking probably timing cover or bottom of hypop.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a similar issue. I also replaced my pan and installed cnc fab oil lines last year.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Any leakage from the HPOP will end up in the valley, and drain out the back of the block (at the valley drain hole), so it's not going to be the HPOP itself, or the face seal.

Also, there is no "behind the water pump", as the water pump itself is mounted directly into the front cover (the cover forms the back-side "volute" of the pump). However, a couple of the water pump bolts DO extend through/into the inside of the front cover (into the timing gear area). Maybe weeping coming from there? Doesn't seem likely, as there is no "pressure" there, but anything is possible.

Since your leakage is towards/on the front of the engine, it is possible that the HPOP reservoir lower seal/o-ring could be leaking (or the upper cover seal as well). This is above the water pump. They are readily visible, just looking over the fan shroud at the front of the engine.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Any chance you had the dampener off? Its a leaker if you don't rtv the key slot.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The leak ended up being the oil cooler were it matters up to the block up front.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it is a little messie but not a bad job. It took me about 5 hours but I have had 7 back surgeries. Google oil cooler change on your year model and you will find videos on how to do it. That will help you a lot.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am looking at buying a house in your neck of the woods OBXNC. Up by Sanford NC my son lives in Gastonia NC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts