The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm driving the truck anywhere above 40mph I am experiencing a heavy vibration ONLY when my fat foot is on the accelerator. Sometimes it is worse than others. Too add to this, when I am accelerating on the uneven highway the sound of the vibration changes as the truck compresses its suspension. But ONLY when I'm on the accelerator! It doesn't make sense to me :/ HELP please!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have also developed a vibration. It appears at approx. 30 mph only on acceleration. The vibration is heavier when I accelerate hard. It is not as bad, but still there, when accelerating slowly.

I rotated my front and rear outer wheels to make sure it isn't tire noise.
I still have good boost and acceleration.

I wonder if it is just the exhaust rubbing somewhere at the firewall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a similar issue that turned out to be my carrier bearing. Maybe worth looking at. Just get under the truck and try and move the drive shaft back and forth and if you have a lot of play it could be you need to replace it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I bet that it is the splines are dry on the rear drive shaft. As you put more load on it ( accelerating ) it binds the splines. As the suspension moves up and down the splines need to slip back and forth. If they can't move it causes vibrations thru the drive line and that is what you are hearing

·
Registered
467 Posts
I bet that it is the splines are dry on the rear drive shaft. As you put more load on it ( accelerating ) it binds the splines. As the suspension moves up and down the splines need to slip back and forth. If they can't move it causes vibrations thru the drive line and that is what you are hearing
This makes sense. ... I just replaced my carrier and pinion bearings over 500 miles ago. The slip joint was making some noise. I never had time to grease it and completely forgot about it.

I drive the truck every day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have noticed excessive sweating from my rear dif cover lately. I'll take a look at my rear end. Although the vibration seems to be coming ONLY from the engine. I hope it's not my torque converter or any turbo gaskets. I still have good power and can hear my turbo whistle clearly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean "sweating" as in gear oil is seeping out of my rear end. Not a leak or anything major. But over time if it is low on gear oil I could see excessive friction and causing some vibration. But like I said the vibration is coming from the engine, I'm almost positive. If it were any gear related issue (or suspension) I would suspect it to be making the vibration all the time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Today the vibration was much worse. When I jacked the rear end up on stands and crawled underneath, I noticed the rear u joint was bad. I am going to replace all u-joints and the center bearing. At 35 mph the vibration starts becoming noticeable.

218,700 miles on truck.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dropped drive shaft today. Had to use cutoff wheel to cut bolts for center bearing. The shaft is supposed to be ready tomorrow. I am getting sealed u- joints . These lasted 219,000 miles....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yes, driveline issues can seem to come from the motor and yes, they can seem to appear only when under load.
A binding spline can take out a u joint (and lots of other things ) very quickly! Personally I prefer that any and all moving parts be serviceable (grease fittings) but unfortunately auto manufacturers like things that have to be replaced rather than serviced...

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Yes, driveline issues can seem to come from the motor and yes, they can seem to appear only when under load.
A binding spline can take out a u joint (and lots of other things ) very quickly! Personally I prefer that any and all moving parts be serviceable (grease fittings) but unfortunately auto manufacturers like things that have to be replaced rather than serviced...
Gator, I come from the same school of thought but the problem is the majority of car/truck owners do not.

People want vehicles that require zero maintenance and that includes grease fittings so car designers have listened to the consumer.

On a positive note, the Ford sealed u-joints are of a superior quality and have excellent grease installed during assembly and last for a very long time. I replaced my first driveline u-joint at 145K miles only because I was greasing the spline and not because it had worn out.

To me, that speaks highly of the auto manufacturer even though they deprive me of the peace-of-mind I get greasing zerks !

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have used this truck everyday since 2003. Bought it with 16,000 miles on it.

Even this forum had a previous discussion regarding sealed vs greasable u joints. The sealed joint protects the grease from the elements and is stronger.
Since these are original ujoints on this truck, and I put over 200,000 on them, I went with the sealed u joints again.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me recently. Horrible vibration when accelerating or with my foot on the go pedal. No vibration at all when I let off the go pedal. Problem was a bad u-joint at the rear end. One of the seals had gone bad and the bearings dried out in 2 of the caps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts