The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I downshift my automatic transmission to try and help slow it down it acts like it is in neutral is that normal! Went to Colorado this last week and sure would have been nice to downshift to help slow down in the mountains!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
No, that's not normal.

What happens at 50 MPH when you are coasting and press the OD OFF button?

What happens when you are coasting and move the shift handle to the 2 position?

·
Registered
884 Posts
When I downshift my automatic transmission to try and help slow it down it acts like it is in neutral is that normal! Went to Colorado this last week and sure would have been nice to downshift to help slow down in the mountains!

Well, that's how I burned out my reverse clutches, going down the steep mountain hill that I lived on....
I'd put in low, and it would hold just for just a little while, and then slip back out...
It didn't take long to destroy the transmission, either...
I first noticed that when I backing up a little knoll [hill], that the transmission would kinda shutter [chatter] a bit...
Called Brian at BTS, and he said my tranny was shot..
And so the story of the infamous 4R100 tranny began for me...:surprise:
Ohh!! And the transmission fluid from the burned up clutches, turned black also

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
The only way you can hurt the reverse clutch is when you have the shift handle in the R position. In any other position the reverse clutch is just along for the ride. It doesn't do anything.

You most likely burnt up the coast clutch. That is the clutch that provides engine braking when the shift handle is in the 2 or 1 position.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
How fast were you going when you disengaged overdrive?

Mark made a statement on this but I didn't see a response.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
The only way you can hurt the reverse clutch is when you have the shift handle in the R position. In any other position the reverse clutch is just along for the ride. It doesn't do anything.

You most likely burnt up the coast clutch. That is the clutch that provides engine braking when the shift handle is in the 2 or 1 position.
Yah, well it's been 13 years ago, I guess my memory is failing me in my old age....
It was a clutch of some kind that burned up ALL MY MONEY...and turned the tranny fluid black...:lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So that means complete transmission if I was to fix it? That clutch can't just be fixed?

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Is that clutch bad? I don't know. If you'd answer my questions I could tell you.

What happens at 50 MPH when you are coasting and press the OD OFF button?

What happens when you are coasting and move the shift handle to the 2 position?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry hope this helps. When coasting at 50 mph in overdrive rpm's are at 1500 press o/d off and rpm's drop to 8-900. Going 50 mph and having in drive and then coasting and putting it into 2nd it makes one little jerk and rpm's stay down around 8-900. Thanks for the help!! Any more info let me know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When coasting around 50 mph in overdrive and putting in 2nd the rpm's drop to around 8-900 and then putting it in 1st it coasts like it is in 2nd at around 8-900 rpm's until 24 mph and then it feels like it shifts to 1st and then the engine revs up a bit.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
The coast clutch is toast. The trans needs to come out and get torn down to find out what happened to the clutch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks I tried to call transmission shop today and line was busy. What happens if I just keep driving it this way will it hurt anything else? I've had truck for 2 years and if my memory serves me correctly it has been that way as long as I've had it and I put 18,000 on it now

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
I've seen them run a long, long way like this. It probably won't hurt anything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts