The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
First of all let me thank everyone on this forum.
It has helped me out tremendously with the few issues I have in the past.
Especially the chaff wire that feed's the over/drive button. I also carry that part to show my fellow Ford owners what can happen.

I carry a heavy Lance Truck Camper (double slide/out) on my Ford F350 and I would like to upgrade my braking system to a larger caliper/rotor&pads.
For the record I have the following:
2002-F350-7.3diesel-4x4-manual locking hubs-extended cab-8ft bed-Lariat package if that makes any difference.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Mike T.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I have always read the Ford factory brake system and components are HD and well built.

If so, then the only way to “upgrade” would be with a larger rotor (more surface area), right? And this would be constrained by the 16” wheels. Maybe you have larger after-market rims?

No doubt you have confirmed your factory system is in good repair and brake fluid is fresh?
I guess we will both learn from the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Or the addition of a secondary braking system is possibly what you are looking for? Or a tuner that integrates the 4R100 with engine drag similar to what is used for long or steep downgrades?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I would flush the brake fluid regardless. Should be done every couple years.
You could get upgraded pads. Seems drilled and slotted rotors are hit and miss, some crack and/or warp.
Next in line would be a exhaust brake.
Also, is your trailer brake setup correctly?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I am not sure anyone makes larger rotors/calipers for our trucks. Even if you got larger rims. You could do an axle swap and put in F450/F550 axles which I think have bigger rotors. However I would agree with Arctic, the stock system in good shape does fine.
DENNY

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello everyone!

Looking back at my original post, I have left out some information.
My brother Steve is a fleet foreman for the City of Salem. So I do have access to his wealth of knowledge and on line information.

So maybe 10 years ago, I added a tuner that gave me 50 more HP as well as an upgraded 4" exhaust system
I also tow - 6 to 8 times a year, a 6000 pound cargo trailer for my Truck Camping club.
It is a tandem trailer with electric brakesdand a brake controller.
I am comfortable with the brake controller setting I have as when I do hit the brakes, I can feel the trailer brakes grabbing first.
Also stock aluminum rims are on my truck.

I knew about brake oil contamination and brother Steve bring's home his tester to make sure I am under 2% contamination.
If it tests 2% or over a full and complete Brake Fluid change is in order.
Also I never use left/over Brake Fluid - new cans every time.

Since my brother Steve out courses all his Diesel work, there is only one shop I have gone to since owning the Power Stroke. This shop only works on Diesels and its usually 7 to 10 days to get an appointment. They are that busy.

As to a brake exhaust, and you 7.3 gear heads can maybe confirm this,
Scott the owner says to stay away from an exhaust brake on the 2002s because the connecting rods are not as strong as the 1999s to 2001s. Scott also owned 3 service trucks with the 7.3 so I have assumed he know what he is talking about.

My front brakes were replaced last August - calipers/rotors/semi/metallic pads and a total brake fluid flush. They have just under 15 k on them.
The only parts put on this Truck were factory Ford parts bought at the dealership my brother uses.( can you say discounted parts - thank you brother Steve)

This past Sunday brother and I were doing an oil change and he checked my front brakes.
The little rubber booties that protect the rotor pins from seizing up, were melted and upon further examination pulled the calipers out and saw that my pads were pretty glazed.

Other than the engine - my brother and I do just about all the repairs and preventative maintenance ourselves.

Mike T

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Mike,
Great details and well maintained truck.
The slide-pin rubber boots were melted?
On both sides?
That is certainly some serious heat. Do you drive in the mountsins often? Do you typically downshift for downhills?

Jasper79, thanks for discussing the exhaust brake, that was part of what I poorly attempted to describe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello ArcticDriver.

Yes both side were melted. That's why I am taking this issue so seriously.
First of all I live in eastern MA were 90% of the cargo trailer towing is done here in New England
Once a year I head down to the Gettysburg PA area with the trailer for our fall Truck Camping Jamboree
The route is as follows:
I-90 west
to
I-84 west
to
I-81 and into Gettysburg PA.
Coming out of New York on I-84, and into PA, there are some serious mountains to climb up and go down on the other side.
Other than doing the posted 55 MPH - anything higher, I am always 3 miles under the speed limit with 65 being the max I will travel with the trailer.
Up hill I always get into the truck lane and drop it out of overdrive and stick it on 55mph ( Yes I have an automatic)
Down hill I am very careful not to ride the brakes with more of a "Pumping Motion" on the pedal.

When I am not pulling the trailer - I travel the same route to Florida every winter. the only difference is I stay longer on I-81, then onto I-64 down to Richmond Va then back on to I-95.

Mike T

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Do you also keep it out of O/D when you summit and start downhilling?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Hello Mike, I have a similar truck as yours and noticed you said you have a large double slide Lance camper. I believe it you check, you are most likely seriously overweight given your trucks GVWR. Add a trailer and any tongue weight adds to the GVWR regardless of electric brakes or not. I spend a lot of time on RV.net and I know everyone has a different view point on weight—sounds like you just might be asking the truck to do more than the manufacturer designed it for. I know I would never put a camper that heavy on my Dually.
Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Big Horn.
You may know that this truck - depending on how it was ordered, you could get a higher GVW.
I know I am over weight - but - I am by no means over my axle weights, front and rear, as certified by a Cat Scale.

I change my brake pads every 30k - rotors every 60k.
All rubber brake hoses were replaced at 100k and 200k
My brother and I check this equipment every time we replace it and nary an issue with over heating and glazing.
So my question is why now - after 18 years of ownership - am I have this issue.
This truck has always carried Truck Campers and my current one has been on this truck for over 5 years.

As I posted above - I am extremely proactive in preventive maintenance.
I can say that just about everything below the cab (other than the motor) has been replace at least once and in some case many times. I even on my third antifreeze change
Yes some may say I am throwing my Do/Re/Me hard earn dollars away, but to me it means peace of mind.
Mike T

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The pmr's don't have much to do with a exhaust brake.
And tuning has changed quite a bit since you originally tuned it. You can actually get a "decel tune" that will use the factory ebpv as a brake. Fairly effective.
The problem with the pmr engines was early tuning.
What tuner do you have?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello everyone.

79Jasper
I not sure if I can explain this correctly but Scott down at Mass Diesel say he programs his own chips and the chip he sold me plugs directly into the computer on the sidewall to the left of my E brake.

So talking with a number of people including a shop that sell racing equipment and the owner "Chip" tows with an identical truck with the exception of no Truck Camper but a 20k racing trailer, and driving the same route that I have as he races in the Poconos of PA, and never experiencing the heat issue that I recently expedience, Chip thinks I may have a bad caliper even thou it is only 12 weeks old and its rare but I could have 2 bad front calipers.
He says I should also re visit my 18 year old Master cylinder and or ABS system that may not allow ithe brake oil to return to the master cylinder.
So before I replace parts just for the sake of replacing them, my brother is going to being home his brake gauge kit. If I understand him correctly - you remove the brake bleeder and screw in this brass adapter, then screw this gauge into the adapter - When you press on the brakes - you can see just what pressure each caliper is receiving and go from there.
Chip also said on one occasion the hose coming from that electric vacuum pump located on my passenger side wall, could be kinked or just plane worn out and once replaced, the brakes worked awesome.
Its a bit cold here in New England so it may be a while before I get to do the above test.
Thank you everyone
Mike T

·
Super Moderator
25,409 Posts
Mike4552 said:
Chip also said on one occasion the hose coming from that electric vacuum pump located on my passenger side wall, could be kinked or just plane worn out and once replaced, the brakes worked awesome.
The vacuum pump on your truck has nothing to do with brake performance. It uses a hydroboost setup rather than vacuum assist.
It might be time to replace the brake hoses again. If you may have kinked them when removing calipers to replace pads, they can act like check valves and not release the pressure from the brakes.
If your brake pads only last 30k, that seems pretty short. I've replaced front and rear pads on my truck once and I'm at 240k miles. Granted, I don't haul a camper as heavy as yours and have a manual tranny, so my brakes don't get as hard a workout. I've also replaced hoses once.
Are you one of those drivers who's brake lights are on all the time, because of resting their left foot on the brake pedal? Not accusing, just bring up the possibility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts