The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I drove 350 miles to a doctors appointment in Tucson.After my appointment I was headed to my house in Kino Bay Sonora Mexico. I Arrived late afternoon,got a motel room. Next AM jumped in my truck,inserted the key and turned it on,waited for plug light to go off,pushed clutch to the floor,turned key to start and NOTHING!!! Turned key off, tried it again,Nothing!!! After numerous try's I Ubered myself to and from the doctor. When I got back to the hotel, I cleaned the battery terminals (they were not very dirty).Still no go! I finally found a shop that would take a look at it the following day.
Next AM ,ready to call AAA,Stuck the key in the Ignition to unlock the steering,Turned the key to crank(What the hell,can't hurt to try one more time) It STARTS. It has started just fine for two months Until Yesterday. I came back from Mexico pulling my boat and the only time that I turned the engine off was at the border. Got home shut it off,went out to move the truck and unhook and it happened again!! Tried a dozen times,no go!!
Got up this AM and it fired right up.
I am sure some else has been through this!!Any In Ideas???

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
Perhaps the clutch safety switch?

Do you have the relay on the fender that you can jump when it doesn't start?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps the clutch safety switch?

Do you have the relay on the fender that you can jump when it doesn't start?

I have changed the clutch master/slave 4 times,that safety switch is the hardest part of the job , I wish I could eliminate the switch altogether like I did on my 94.I guess I need to figure out how to put switch on the starter relay.

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
All the starter relay requires is 12 volts to the small terminal to activate it.

But if your truck starts when you jump that relay then your problem can be a couple of other things from a broken wire that is making contact at times to the actual ignition switch that is located on the steering column under the dash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts