The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving approx. 20 miles about 2 weeks ago, van suddenly had a loss of power and sounded like it was in low gear with a wind sound. Very similar to the sound that occurs when I drove it during winter before letting warm up long enough.This was not constant though. At first it occurred sporadically then it started after the engine warmed up and remained. Did some research thought it might be the exhaust blowback valve stuck shut, so I removed the turbo and pedestal replaced with a non-EBPV pedestal plus entirely rebuilt the turbo. At test drive nothing has changed. Next I changed the air filters and fuel filter and still no charge. I have a video but not sure how to post it. Any ideas, insight, help will be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
14,795 Posts
Post your video to youtube and put the link here. Does it sound like the fan clutch is locked up? That will make a sound like standing behind a jet engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post your video to youtube and put the link here. Does it sound like the fan clutch is locked up? That will make a sound like standing behind a jet engine.
Just crawled under the van and I have to use decent pressure to turn clockwise but will not turn at all counter clockwise. Feels as if might snap the plastic fan trying to turn it. Not familiar with level of pressure required to spin. Also, thank you for the heads up about youtube.The only way to catch the sound undistorted was to place the phone on the floor with windows closed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention. I'm driving at about 25mph in the video but sounds like I'm at full throttle.

·
Super Moderator
25,616 Posts
If you can't turn the fan by hand both ways with the same force (a couple fingers worth), then the fan clutch is toast.
Replacing that should fix up your problem. The fan sucks quite a few HP when locked up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
If you can't turn the fan by hand both ways with the same force (a couple fingers worth), then the fan clutch is toast.
Replacing that should fix up your problem. The fan sucks quite a few HP when locked up.
Thank you for the reply. The van is my daily work vehicle. What are the risks of not changing out that seized clutch right away?

·
Super Moderator
25,616 Posts
Probably won't do much more than suck fuel, although if the fan blade has any play, you should fix it right away to prevent something from coming apart and causing damage.
I once needed to change the fan clutch on a motorhome (van chassis) on the road. It was done by braille. I can understand your reluctance to have to dig into it on your van.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably won't do much more than suck fuel, although if the fan blade has any play, you should fix it right away to prevent something from coming apart and causing damage.
I once needed to change the fan clutch on a motorhome (van chassis) on the road. It was done by braille. I can understand your reluctance to have to dig into it on your van.
Again thank you. Truly a relief to know I can finish my work week before I do the repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts