The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help, been leaking oil for about 20,000 miles and atleast 10 trips to the dealer. the slow drip comes off the bell housing right where the tranny meets the block. the rear main has been replaced i believe 3 times now, along with the valve cover gaskets, oil dip stick o ring and a few of the times they said they just flat out couldn't find a leak. if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it so maybe i can pass on the info to my dealer when i go back. also this isnt the only dealer that i have taken it to. this is the second one who couldn't find it. thanks in advance

·
Registered
55 Posts
had a leak in the same area...like most of them do...it was cam pos. sensor..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a small oil leak (no drip) which was corrected by replacing "hot side CAC tube" which runs down the cyclinder head to back of block. I don't think it was big deal? No more leaks so far after 3 months.
Good luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ask the dealer if the bed plate could be leaking. I think a lot of these trucks have this problem and the fix requires complete engine removal to re-seal the bed plate area. Just a thought!!!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Check the cam position sensor. It's a known leaker. Oil travels along the side of the engine above/around the bed plate and it dumps out on the bellhousing area.

·
Registered
244 Posts
ICP sensor's is also a typical culprit that leak down and drip off the bell housing.... it's covered under the 5yr/100k mile warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your input I am just waiting now to take it in yet again and I am going to mention all of these ideas to them for possible problems pertaining to the leak. Ill keep you all posted

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its back in again and now after i told them to check out the bed plate they have said thats what it is and they are pulling the motor as we speak to fix that. So we will see next week when it comes back if that fixed the problem or if it just causes or whole new set of problems with the motor being out of the truck now.

·
Registered
742 Posts
This may sound like a silly question but,,,

Is your truck under warrantee?

If not, How much is it going to cost for doing this extensive and labor intensive repair?

Are they going to pay for the repair since the Cam Position Sensor was a KNOWN issue?

Just wondering...

JR44

·
Registered
702 Posts
If all else has been checked, bed plate......

Take Care

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
had a leak in the same area...like most of them do...it was cam pos. sensor..

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here. Mine turned out to be the ICP sensor and it was replaced along with the pigtail. While checking out the finished product, mechanic found a couple other leaks at the rear cover gasket. Been leak-free for nine months now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dealership told me that mine was leaking from the head gasket. The "Head" diels mechanic even showed me on another truck (that was in for the same thing) were it was leaking. He was doing a total of three gasket replacements as we spoke.

To make a long story short, I called BS!!! had to basically steal my truck out of the dealership.

After taking it to fleet ford truck shop, they stated it was a leaking ICP sensor, fixed in one day..!!!

DEMAND THEY DYE THE OIL AND BLACK LIGHT THE ENGINE BEFORE AUTHORISING ANY WORK

saved my and my truck

98,552 miles December 2002 build date

·
Banned
5,386 Posts
Disclaimer.... for the dye to flouresce well, the oil needs to be pretty clean....

If they add the dye and tell you to come back "next week", they wont find the leak. This amount of time will likely have dye everywhere the tech looks....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah they did the dye test a few times still couldnt find anything, but anyways got it back today and no drips as of yet, everything looks clean and the list of gaskets that they replaced was huge. also it was all under warranty I would not have been paying for all of this to be done. The Icp sensor had been replaced and checked after the leak had already been reported. so they claimed it was the bed plate after I pointed it out. crossing my fingers now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts