The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I've been wanting to install a coolant filter ever since I did my second not so fun water pump replacement last December. I like the location that Ert01 recently chose just to the right of the oil fill. I know there's a port on the pump facing the driver's side of the pump that needs to supply the filter input. I am mainly wanting to know from those of you who have done this, what is the best fitting and routing of that line around the vacuum pump? Looks like I could maybe put a 90 degree in the port so hose runs up over the V.P. to the filter head. I would rather use straight fitting if possible though so I could clamp the hose to the fitting before threading the fitting into the port. I have hands the size of dinner plates and I'm just trying to avoid unnecessary disassembly of that whole shoehorned area! I know the rest of the install is easy and I ordered my filter kit from thedieselsite because it has 4 different port locations, and well, it is real nice looking and under the hood of a van isn't much to look at even if you've done tons of upgrades! Any advice on the fittings and routing of hoses would be much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Gather all the specifics, here, Stock, and I'll follow along. I may as well tackle that job when I finish the fuel filter/separator.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Morning, Clev! So far it's been the sounds of crickets chirping on this thread. My coolant filter will be here soon so I'll figure it out. There's got to be other E-Series (vans, box vans, and ambulances) guys that want to prolong the life of their oil coolers, water pumps, and cooling systems. Filtration is cheap in comparison to part failure! I'll make notes of the exact fittings I use to pass all info along.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'll try to remember to take a picture of my setup tomorrow. Keep in mind that it was on the van when I bought it.
Ugly but works.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I dont think these pics will help answer your questions but they may give you some ideas for a work around? I have yet to install this bracket and setup but plan to after I get my other engine maintenance and upgrades done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!
Djbonsu, that bracket took some creative thinking with the cutout for the steering reservoir! I'll keep that idea in mind when I figure out best routing from the water pump fitting. My coolant filter kit and other goodies arrived today, but I'm in the middle of replacing all wear parts on the front end, including HD coil springs, ball joints, all poly bushings, brakes, bearings, seals, etc. Never ends! Thanks for the ideas! Cheers!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a rough sketch of the plate if you want it. Lemme know and Ill post it or PM it. Good luck on refreshing the front end.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I hate to ask, but how can I post a pic from my cell phone?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No problem, bork. I have the forum app on my phone so they upload from there, with the photo icon. If you don't have/want the app you could use safari or whatever your web browser is to sign on to this forum from your phone. After that, when replying to a thread, you can scroll down and click on "go advanced". Then you will see an option to upload a single photo to go along with your text, if you wish. Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
djbonsu, As I said earlier, whoever made that bracket had a good idea. With that said, I looked more closely at the pictures and then pulled my DieselSite filter head out of the box. Something didn't look right. I hope you and others see the humor in this. I'll attach a pic which shows how it is plumbed (input/output locations). Look at it, then go back and look at the other guy's lines. He plumbed into and out of both "out" ports! I hope you guys see the humor in this because in the second pic, he even wrote the date on the filter! Shouldn't ever need to change it because nothing is running through it! Wish I could find that guy and ask him for his "used" filters!

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just saw this now... I haven't been here in awhile... I'll take some more pictures tonight and post them up.

I used a straight fitting on the port on the waterpump. Used 3/8" silicone heater hose and ran it up behind the vacuum pump to my filter location.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks ert! I really appreciate that. I want to try to get any other special fittings I need ahead of time. I want to be sure to keep it fairly clear of the belt path to avoid double disaster if the belt ever went. I reached in there and felt around the vacuum bracket first but that thing is solid (no cutouts). My next thought was buy a 45* fitting for the water pump plug location and run up over the vacuum pump to the location you used for the filter head. If a straight fitting works there, even better!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'll try to remember to take a picture of my setup tomorrow. Keep in mind that it was on the van when I bought it.
Ugly but works.
Nearly forgot...

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, as long as it has clean coolant, you can't go wrong! While I had the top of the engine opened up some today, I spotted the two long threaded bolts that extend from the brake booster. Hmmm, they are at just the right height for the hose coming from water pump. Accessible but not blocking future repairs. I'm thinking an angle iron bracket to extend 4"-6" towards passenger side using those two bolts for mounting. I've got some 2" aluminum angle around here so I'll see what I can do this weekend.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

Finally got a chance to finish making the bracket last night. I test fit everything too and it all works with just enough room to get a filter wrench in there if necessary. I should note that I used my smaller brake line bender to create 1/2" more clearance from one of the lines. Didn't have to, but I don't want any rattles under the hood. Now I'm just waiting for a 45* fitting that I ordered to go where the water pump plug is located. The filter head is billet aluminum, so I bent the bracket out of a piece of high quality aluminum I had laying around. It will fit over the steering reservoir like the one dj posted a pic of, but the bracket rests on the steel radiator support and on the reservoir mount. Since this filter head has "out" ports on either side, I can cut the existing overflow hose and run straight through. Others would require you to T output into overflow hose. It will mount using existing factory bolt locations. Here it is ready for install.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Very nice Stock! Looks good!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Installation Complete!

Finally completed the coolant filter install today. For the record, I ordered two 3/8 male NPT threaded to 3/8" barbed 45* adapters. That worked best for me in the water pump port. I used the other for the hose to degas bottle for a clean install. The rest was one 90* 3/8 male NPT threaded to 3/8" barbed, and one straight adapter in the same size. I used six stainless worm gear hose clamps for 3/8" hose and of course, the DieselSite filter head, and the aluminum bracket that I made to fit over the steering fluid reservoir. I should note that I clamped the hose to the water pump fitting and then slid a 16" long section of wire loom over it to protect the hose if the belt ever went. I also use wide zip ties to secure that and other hoses so they don't vibrate and rub through.
I also left the input hose just long enough to unbolt the filter head and move it out of the way if needed. I used both outlet ports instead of a "T" fitting but you could just Tee into the degas bottle hose if your filter head only has one output port. Same difference.
Thank you, djbonsu for the location idea and others for their input. I hope that little sucker starts working hard to catch all the casting sand, etc., floating around in my cooling system! Here is the finished product:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here it is from the side:

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice install Stock! How easy is it to change the filter when it is needed?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice install Stock! How easy is it to change the filter when it is needed?
Thanks, I have just enough room to get a short handled filter wrench in there. Like everything else under the hood, it is tight but I think I still have room to put 1 or 2 performance stickers under there!:grin2:
Whenever I work on this van, I'm always thinking that if a mouse ever crawled into the engine, he wouldn't have room to turn around and get out!

Reactions: djbonsu and bork
1 - 20 of 21 Posts