The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a factory cruise control kit in my 2003 E350 cargo. I completed everything except reinstalling the airbag, and then took the van for a drive to ensure the system worked. Which it did! However, after I reinstalled the air bag, the airbag light comes on. And now the cruise doesn't work. I shut the van off and tried it a few minutes later. Now the airbag light only comes on for a second when the truck starts and then shuts off. But the cruise does not work.

Any ideas? I've heard conflicting opinions on whether or not there is a fuse for the cruise. Seems like there should be, but is there? If there is, does anyone know where it's located? (under the hood or on the firewall?).

Any guidance is appreciated!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Located the cruise control fuse. It was good. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
What do you mean by a factory kit? The factory doesn't use kits for anything. Since you didn't describe what you installed, or how you determined that it was working, or post any pics of it, I'm not sure what help can be offered.

Did you install an electronic servo, or a vacuum servo? A SCCD switch? A steering wheel? A clock spring? Did you use a diagram that looked like these?

More info about the van would help, too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My apologies.

By factory kit, I mean a brand new factory steering wheel, brand new factory clockspring, brand new factory wiring harness, and a brake switch... all of which came with a ford installation guide... in a kit.

I determined that the system was working by driving it down the road and engaged the cruise. The van held speed when I let off the accelerator. All cruise functions worked. The lights on the buttons even lit, as they should.

The van is a 2003 E350 PSD cargo.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
So no servo? When you post pics of the installation instructions, I might be able to help more.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I recently bought a NOS partial cruise control kit, it was missing the clock spring but everything else was included. There is no servo.
Included in the kit was the directions and parts list here is the picture I just took for you.
Apparently once you connect the clock spring, brake safety switch and obviously the cruise control steering wheel the computer in the van will automatically detect and start working.

As for the problem at hand, I've got no clue... sorry

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I contacted the place where I purchased the kit. They seemed to think that the clockspring may have died. So they shipped me a new one. Before I installed it, I checked for continuity on the brake switch at the switch itself and through the wires that go through the firewall. It all checked out.

So I removed the clockspring and installed the "new" new one. Fired the van up... no airbag warning light. Figured that fixed it. Took it for a drive.. nothing. Cruise still does not work.

I'm stumped.

·
Super Moderator
12,015 Posts
So no servo?
There is no cruise servo on diesels. There is no throttle plate to pull open, so the servo wouldn't do anything. The cruise works by controlling the fuel injected into the engine. It's all electronic.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Want to sell one of the clock springs?
Email me if yes.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're kidding, right? What have you asked that I or someone else haven't already answered?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If you're satisfied with what has already been posted, then so am I. ;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
check your fuse in the front box
i think mine was white 10 amp
see if its blown

1 - 13 of 13 Posts