The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post. I have been trying to read lots of threads for the last week to get to know this truck. I just bought a 2003 F250 xlt 4x4 cc with 297k miles on it. I believe I am the 3rd owner. According to the guy I bought it from it has no modifications at all to the engine. He says that he had it checked out by a diesel shop before he bought it 2 years ago and was given the all clear to buy it. I had a buddy who has owned 2 6.0l's come with me to test drive and look it over and gave me the thumbs up for the price i could get it for. We know the turbo has been replaced and at some point it had an Edge tuner on it. I have only driven it 10 miles home and all seems good in that little drive. I have a budget of $4500 for mods. One suggestion I get is to go get what bulletproofing I can for that much now and be confident and reliable. The other guy says that if it's gone this far with no issues then either I have a reliable stock engine or issues have already been addressed by previous owners and I wait for something to go bad then do it all at that time. What do you guys think? This is my first diesel so please forgive my ignorance. Sorry for the long post, thanks, Don, from sunny San Diego

·
Registered
878 Posts
Personally, I'd get an Edge insight or something similar to monitor the engine's vitals.

Other than maybe the blue spring upgrade for the injectors (cheap insurance), I wouldn't touch it. 297K is very good. Someone most likely has already done the mods at this point, or you simply have a freakishly stock reliable 6.0.

·
Super Moderator
26,507 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I'd get an Edge insight or something similar to monitor the engine's vitals.

Other than maybe the blue spring upgrade for the injectors (cheap insurance), I wouldn't touch it. 297K is very good. Someone most likely has already done the mods at this point, or you simply have a freakishly stock reliable 6.0.
Thanks, I figure an Edge Insight and PHP ficm tuner. I will have to do some research on the blue spring upgrade, don't know anything about it. I buy alot off amazon but I suppose I should look at the site sponsors for some of these items.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The term "borrowed time" comes to mind. Its up to you, you can wait for it to break down, or be proactive.

I would be concerned about the Edge tuner use, they are not known for allowing the trans to live a long and happy life.

If the injectors have never been replaced they are due, as typical service life is 150-200k.

The '03's had a better design EGR cooler that was less prone to failure than the later design. The trade off is a more failure prone HPOP, but no STC fitting to fail, and no dummy plugs either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, I am going to try to get it to a local shop that is authorized by BPD and see what they can tell me. Ford dealer says the only factory service on record is a computer update run in April of '07.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I got the Edge Insight CTS2. I am still getting familiar with it. It has the ability to set alarms. Where can I get a list of the temperature limits for the different fluids so I can set the alarms? Thanks

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I would set ECT at 240, EOT at 230 and trans temp at 220. EGT if you have the ability gets set at 1,250.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I will use those limits. Egt still need to add. The probe is there from previous owner I just need to get the wire to the insight

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I will use those limits. Egt still need to add. The probe is there from previous owner I just need to get the wire to the insight

1 - 16 of 16 Posts