The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Buddy selling 20034x4 f350 lariat 6.0 68,000 miles Oregon truck. It is extended cab long bed.

He is asking $17,500 obo. here in socal.

What is it worth and what would it take to make it reliable (bulletproof).

I am trying to ad a pic here:

I currently have a 2003 crew cab 4x4 F350 7.3 327,000 on it, but I was thinking a 2015 6.7.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
5 grand is about the average price I've seen for bulletproofing. Have to keep in mind that can change in a hurry if there are "issues". There are also add ons that can up the price too.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The average cost of bulletproofing nationwide seems to be in the $5,000-$5,500 range, but can be a little less in some areas, and a bit more in others.

As for what the truck is worth, the old saying never gets it wrong: whatever someone's willing to pay for it. It looks like a low mileage, well cared for truck. It also looks stock. I would try to get it for more like $15,000. Figure at that price you'll have $20,000 in it bulletproofed. I don't see you picking anything else up in that price range that will be comparable to what you can do with a good 6.0 truck.

I'm not sure what the used market is like for the 6.7 trucks. They are a solid platform, but command too steep a premium new IMO. Used they might be a decent deal, but the 6.7 really needs a bit done to it to be reliable too, especially once you're out of factory warranty. I'd rather not deal with the urea injection, DPF, etc. The 6.7 is also a pretty stout engine, but not as stout as a 6.0. Ford skimped a bit on the bottom end in the 6.7 to keep costs down. Stock, not a big deal, but if you're looking for more power down the road you'd be running in the danger zone all the time with the kind of power I don't think twice about making with my 6.0.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about "bulletproofing", until a problem shows up. I'd get gauges to monitor oil/coolant temp, thereby monitoring your oil cooler, the cause of many of the 6.0s issues. That's what I did when I bought my 2003 6.0 with 147k. Now it has 295k. I did injectors at 270k, at 200k or so the waterpump pully broke and I had to replace it. It was much thinner in 03 than it was in later years. I replaced it with the newer version and no issues. Radiator started leaking at around 275k, replaced with an all alluminum Ebay Chinese special and couldn't be happier. If I were to start looking for a truck today, I'd look for a 6.0. 6.4s and 6.7 are RIDICULOUSLY expensive to repair and tend to have catastrophic issues.

Bottom line, learn the engine... Find out what to look for to watch for pending issues and fix them immediately.. With proper maintenance it's a 500k engine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oh yea, and for what it's worth...

I bought my 2003 F250 CC 4wd Lariat with 147k bone stock miles in 2009 from a local used car dealership for $13,000

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
If you wait until you have a problem you are also going to be fixing other damage caused by the problem. For example, if you wait until you've got a blown HG, you almost certainly now also have a cracked head. I'd spare myself that $1,100 by being proactive.

Sadly not towing and not racing doesn't make you safe from a design flaw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts