The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with the battery charge wire not working through the trailer plug. I checked all the fuses I could locate and couldn't find one that was blown. The F650 owners manual does not provide a fuse location for trailer battery charge.

Any idea?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do you have the ignition on? Sorry I can't be more helpful on the 650 but on all other Super Dutys with trailer tow package the 12V circuit is only on when the engine is running or ignition switch is on. Not acc position. (To prevent discharge of truck batteries by trailer.)
Also, the circuit is isolated from the other truck charging circuits by a relay. FWIW, my Trailer Tow Battery Charge Relay is in location 305 in the dash fuse panel.

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may end up calling Fontaine tomorrow and asking them as they are the ones that put the plug in from the factory. I don't see it being possible that they wouldn't have a battery feed wire hooked up, but who knows.

I'll report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Found out that these can be wired two ways, one like RV set up and other
like a semi where you have left and right turn seperate from brake lights. Put meter on 12v line and depress brake pedal se if thats it, I'm checking mine tonight.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Check on the tow / haul forum... I believe it may have to do with a relay being left out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
checked mine tonight.What is the 12v on a small truck is the stop lights on mine that how large semis are wired.Going to have to run new wire to connector. Check yours with a meter and someone holding break pedal down.

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[ QUOTE ]
I may end up calling Fontaine tomorrow and asking them as they are the ones that put the plug in from the factory. I don't see it being possible that they wouldn't have a battery feed wire hooked up, but who knows.

I'll report back tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Little late in replying, but I did speak with Fontaine and they stated that they just plug into the factory harness that is ran to the back of the chassis when they get them. Therefore, it looks like I get to crawl under the truck and run a wire from front to back in order to be able to charge the TH batteries while diving down the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Where should I hook into? I'm thinking that it should be hooked into the charging system, right?

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up doing a little wire tracing today, 5 hours worth, and found the wire. The orange wire that is ran from the back to the front is located under that dash with the other "customer access" wires. Also in the bunch of blunt cut wires is a Dark Blue one that it hot with key one. All I had to do was connect the 2 and all is well.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I ended up doing a little wire tracing today, 5 hours worth, and found the wire. The orange wire that is ran from the back to the front is located under that dash with the other "customer access" wires. Also in the bunch of blunt cut wires is a Dark Blue one that it hot with key one. All I had to do was connect the 2 and all is well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is this bundle under the dash?

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[ QUOTE ]

Where is this bundle under the dash?

[/ QUOTE ]
Driver side, behind the OBDII port.

·
Registered
56 Posts
really really old thread, but it is right on point. I too found the orange charge wire under the dash & connected it to the dark blue wire that is the wire that runs to the two 7 pin connectors on the vehicle. Connected them, & all was good for 2 years. But in attempting to hook up an accessory, I must of made a short because I lost the 12 volts at both 7 pin connectors. I have spent many hours checks all relevant relays & fuses. I have an authentic FORD wiring manual for this 2003 supercrewzer, & the problem seems that there is not a specific fuse & relay that is labeled for the charge wire. (unlike many other years of FORDS)
So my question is, could there be another fuse & relay that is piggy backed.....like the stop light fuse & relay, or the park lights fuse & relay. Also, would there be any other way that FORD might of wired the charge wire without a fuse & relay, like say directly off of battery, or another fuse outside of the 2 fuse boxes. (engine compartment & passenger compartment). I also have the "additional relay box" mounted on the frame rail, which has 2 exhaust brake relays & 1 trailer hookup light relay. I have not checked these 3 relays yet, as they are the most difficult to get to & they are not labeled to be specific to "battery charge".
Anyway, appreciate your suggestions in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
well, I drove the vehicle to get fuel then hooked up the 5th wheel, & for grins thought I would do a check for charge wire current. And for some reason it reset & is working again. I spent hours pulling fuses & relays to determine how the circuit is powered, & never could find the source of power for the circuit. Time to move on & work on something else. later

1 - 15 of 15 Posts