The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2003 Ford E-350 Superduty with a 7.3L Powerstroke. For preventive maintenance, I decided to change the ICP and the IPR. The truck was running fine, and yes I am kicking myself in the ass now for ever messing with it.

After we put it together, the 'Service Engine Soon' light came on and it sounded like it was punching a little too hard at idle. I put my Auto Enginuity scanner on the vehicle with KOER and at Idle, the ICP voltage was reading around 3.4 to 3.9v... The Injection Control Pressure was reading around just under 4000psi. I was using the scan tool not a mechanical gauge. This is all being read at IDLE. With KOEO the Injection control pressure voltage was around .20v.

I thought maybe the new Motorcraft ICP was bad out of the box, so I installed the original "known good part" that I took out...same problem. I replaced the ICP pigtail...again, same problem. When I disconnected the ICP the truck Idle was erratic and revving and idling, and so on.

I then went on to the new IPR I installed...I looked that the pigtail and it looked like the insulation was bad near the plug so I spliced in a new one. I hate to install the original IPR that I worked so hard to take out. I hate to spend $250 on another IPR just to see if the recently purchased part was bad out of the box, but will if I have to.

Does anyone have ANY thoughts what could be causing this High Injection Control Pressure after changing the ICP and IPR? These were all Motorcraft parts, not some aftermarket crap.

This was a perfectly good running truck and trying to preempt being stuck due to faulty ICP and IPR sensors I created a problem that is baffling me.

HELP!

·
Administrator
27,493 Posts
There's a slight possibility that when you changed the IPR, some debris plugged the edge filter in the HPOP. If that happens, and the edge filter is completely plugged, the HPOP will go to full pressure. What was the IPR duty cycle when the ICP reading was so high? The PCM was probably trying to back the IPR duty cycle down below normal (should be around 11-13% at idle.)

Read thru the attached document.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There's a slight possibility that when you changed the IPR, some debris plugged the edge filter in the HPOP. If that happens, and the edge filter is completely plugged, the HPOP will go to full pressure. What was the IPR duty cycle when the ICP reading was so high? The PCM was probably trying to back the IPR duty cycle down below normal (should be around 11-13% at idle.)

Read thru the attached document.
I didn't even think of that. The duty cycle if I remember was around 14.5%.

If there is crap in the edge filter, how would I clean this? Is the filter removable or would blowing compressed air in that hole where the IPR mounts help? It's a van and the HPOP isn't so easily accessed or removed. But any assistance will help and thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't even think of that. The duty cycle if I remember was around 14.5%.

If there is crap in the edge filter, how would I clean this? Is the filter removable or would blowing compressed air in that hole where the IPR mounts help? It's a van and the HPOP isn't so easily accessed or removed. But any assistance will help and thank you!
klhansen, we found the problem...I want to thank you for taking the time to educate and assist me. We used a scope to make sure we didn't drag up any muck from the valley while trying to install the IPR....it was clear. Here was the problem and I feel like an idiot...

A supposedly "Motorcraft" IPR from Ebay, that look quite a bit cheesy when placed side by side with a Motorcraft IPR right from the Ford Dealer. I took out the Ebay "Motorcraft" IPR and after inspecting the opening in the HPOP for "muck" we installed the new, Ford dealer supplied IPR. We also changed the pigtail that was getting very crappy around the plug. It wasn't shorting, yet. If it is needed by anyone, it is Dorman Part # 645-1001.

Truck runs perfect! I put my Auto Enginuity scanner on it and the Injection Control Pressure was at Idle, running around 675-750psi....the truck has more power and it's repaired.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you can, post a picture of the fake part and package to help others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts