The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody, hope all are well.

My trouble is the oil pan on my 2003 ford f 250 super duty 4x4 diesel, 6,0
my oil pan has rusted bad in the front and leaks thru the rust, so I need to change it, I already have a new pan but sure could use some help on how to go about the change, see I am 72 and only get 1250 a month S/S so I need to try and change it myself, I am pretty good with a tool and not to dumb, but could use some pointers if any one here could help me out with what to expect,
OK Just want to thank you for your time and help. take care

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
You are going to have to loosen some motor mounts and jack the engine up some to remove the oil pan.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bismic, I hear about 1 " should it, also remove bolts up top on the radiator, I did not hear anything about the trans.

·
Registered
337 Posts
On the 150 4x4 models you can fairly easily drop the front axle enough to get the pan out. I'm not arguing with Mark - just curious if that's an option on the Superduties. FWIW if I was dealing with a leaky oil pan it would have to be be REALLY bad before I'd try to R & R it. JB Weld is pretty wonderful stuff. Drain the oil - wash the pan with brake clean - scuff it up with a wire wheel or dremel - 5 bux worth of JB - get on with life.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You Bob of the north, I will give it a shot and see how I make out and let you know, Thanks for your time, Bill of the East, lol have a great day

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, well I had the oil pan changed yesterday, no more leak, " BUT " now the trans is acting crazy, it was fine when I drove it to the shop, and for years before, but now after the pan change it shifts all crazy, takes off fine but then seems to stay in second gear then seems like it is in N cause the tack jumps way up then drops back down, I have no idea, I know they had to jack up the engine a couple inches to get the pan out and new one in, I checked for a pinched line or if the wire came off, but no, if you ever ran across this PLEASE help me out with it, Thanks so much.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I would be re-looking carefully at the trans lines from the external filter to the trans.

Those long lines fasten to the bottom of the passenger side engine block. If while lifting the motor to remove the pad they forgot to unbolt those lines, they could be kinked which will reduce the flow of ATF from the coolers and filter. A good way to burn up a trans.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be re-looking carefully at the trans lines from the external filter to the trans.

Those long lines fasten to the bottom of the passenger side engine block. If while lifting the motor to remove the pad they forgot to unbolt those lines, they could be kinked which will reduce the flow of ATF from the coolers and filter. A good way to burn up a trans.
OK, I will check them again, Thank you will let you know what I find. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts