The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 6.0 Supercrew Lariat Stock 2WD. I'm getting 15-16mpg. I've heard bad stories about custom tunes. What about an economy tune to improve fuel mileage. Will this stress the engine or warp the heads ? With a good economy tune what kind of gas mileage increase could I expect to get ?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
15-16 doesn't sound too bad in my opinion.

Do a search on tuners. Give one of the custom tuners a call. A reputable tuner is not going to give you a tune that will hurt your truck if you drive reasonable. There are, however, quite a few things you could/should do before going with a tuner. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys here that can give some insight as to what you need to do to keep your 6.0 healthy. Then you might consider some tunes.

Good luck! :thup:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
15-16mpg where, city-highway-mix of both need a little more info, i get 18.4 Hwy doing 62 and 9 pulling my 14k 5er. If you tune you may need to have some deep pockets because the 6.0 is maxed out on hp. You need to get some gauges like Edge Insight CTS or ScanGaugeII first to see the health of the motor get a coolant filter to remove the casting sand a fuel pressure gauge pressure under 45lbs kills injectors. Then if you feel lucky get something like SCT Xcallibrator3 W/ Custom Tunes By Innovative Diesel or Matt at Gearhead and tune it for head bolts that way you will have a boost gauge because max boost is 28lbs mine will only do 25lbs solo but pulling 14,000lbs i can hit 28+ so i back out of it some.
2 stroker:ford:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
dont get a tuner for mpg. you will be dissapointed. get it for power only.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Exactly what Lub says. Not even an option. Tune for power not economy. I get my best mileage with innovative's x-street tune vs the economy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts