The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my truck has recently started make a loud fan noise when accelerating. I believe that it is the turbo, but I want some other opinions on it. Then it also hardly wants to start but that may be because it’s cold. Or is it part of the problem I’m having with the noise?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well the fan is engaging for some reason. Unless it’s not the fan. There’s really no question about when it locks up cause it’s loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the fan is engaging for some reason. Unless it’s not the fan. There’s really no question about when it locks up cause it’s loud

I really don’t know what else it would be. Possible somthing loose on the turbo? Exhaust coming off of it?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
One thing that I would check would be the fan clutch. Maybe it is going out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you checked coolant? Maybe it’s low and you’re losing it thru EGR

I did not think about that. I will check that when I get home. But I don’t believe it’s low. I checked it a few weeks before this started happening and it was perfectly fine

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
A bad fan clutch would make the fan go super loud? It just sounds like you have a shop fan on like setting 3
If you have checked the fan clutch, and that is not it, then I would read the thread below that reveals what it could be. This was a mystery for years, and quite a few people thought that it was the turbo, and spent a lot of money rebuilding their turbos, which didn't fix the problem. Finally, after several years of trying, someone discovered the problem. Maybe this is your problem. I'd check to see.

Loaud whining sound with RPMS 2000 7.3L Excursion.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Maybe its just me but I think its pretty hard to confuse fan and turbo noise. It could very easily be the fan you're hearing. When they lock up they make a serious amount of noise. Check the fan blades. Maybe there's some recent damage or just some build up on them that's making the extra noise.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Maybe if I explain my responses a little more it will make more sense to you. The fan is supposed to speed up or slow down depending upon the amount of heat in the engine. This is perfectly normal. There is a fan clutch that can engage or disengage depending upon the temperature of the air being pulled through the radiator. When the truck is accelerating, if the engine get hot enough, the air being pulled through the radiator may be hot enough to cause the fan clutch to engage. That makes the fan run much faster and louder. That is perfectly normal, and is the way it is supposed to work. When you said that you had only recently heard this loud fan noise when the truck is accelerating, that made me think that something is different from the way that it was before. That is why I suggested that you check the fan clutch, because maybe some wear is occurring that causes it to engage earlier than you are used to. If the clutch is wearing and working differently than it did before, then maybe it is on the verge of failing completely. If it fails completely and lets the fan go, it may send the fan blades into the radiator and destroy the radiator and the fan blades. That may also take out the water pump. So that would be good to check the fan clutch to determine if is not working the way it should and could be on the verge of catastrophic failure. The other possibility is that everything is working normally, but that you just never noticed the fan clutch engaging before. But it is good to check it.

When you said that it sounded like a fan running loudly, but that you were sure it wasn't anything to do with the fan and that you suspected the turbo, that reminded me of this other thread that went on for years and where quite a few people had an unexplainable noise and thought that it must be the turbo and rebuilt the turbo at great expense, which didn't help the problem at all, that prompted me to send you the link to that thread. I still think that it is more likely to be something with the fan, but since you seem to have totally convinced yourself that it can't be anything to do with the fan, maybe it is something similar to what these other people had. They had a leak somewhere that caused a terrible noise and made them think that it was the turbo, but it turned out to be the sound of the air rushing through the leak, and once they found and repaired the leak, the sound stopped. As Bob said, check the fan blades. Maybe you have a nick or cracked or damaged fan blade that causes the fan to be louder than normal when the fan clutch engages and speeds up the fan.

Another possibility worth checking is that some of the sound insulation attached to the hood is coming loose and letting more sound get out of the engine compartment. That may be allowing you to hear the sound of the fan running faster when the clutch engages, but before, when the insulation was more intact, you couldn't hear it as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you have checked the fan clutch, and that is not it, then I would read the thread below that reveals what it could be. This was a mystery for years, and quite a few people thought that it was the turbo, and spent a lot of money rebuilding their turbos, which didn't fix the problem. Finally, after several years of trying, someone discovered the problem. Maybe this is your problem. I'd check to see.

Loaud whining sound with RPMS 2000 7.3L Excursion.
The OP has a 6.0 and this thread covers the 7.3 diesel. In my experience there is a big difference as to the sound of these fans. My 7.3 howled so loud you couldn't hear the radio when towing 10,000 lbs up a 6% grade.

My 6.0 has not ever been anywhere near this loud. My fan clutch on the 6.0 was "weak" according to dealer and I had it replaced. It is not any quieter but does seem to keep the temps a little cooler.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Nope. No over heating at all stays at normal temp
The dash gauge isn't going to tell you the actual story on temperatures (they stay mid-range up to some fairly high temps). You need a way (scan tool) to get the actual temperature values (if you don't have that already).

The 6.0L fan can certainly get loud at full speed! He can manually provide the ground so that the fan clutch will go to full speed - then compare the sounds, but better yet, get a scan tool that shows fan speed as well as actual temperatures.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The OP has a 6.0 and this thread covers the 7.3 diesel. In my experience there is a big difference as to the sound of these fans. My 7.3 howled so loud you couldn't hear the radio when towing 10,000 lbs up a 6% grade.

My 6.0 has not ever been anywhere near this loud. My fan clutch on the 6.0 was "weak" according to dealer and I had it replaced. It is not any quieter but does seem to keep the temps a little cooler.
If you had actually read the thread that I linked, you would have known that the resolution in that case was not the fan, but a leak in some tube. I don't see why a 6.0 couldn't have a leak that whistles or howls the same way that a 7.3 could have a leak. Just a possibility. I'm not saying that that is what it is for sure. Maybe worth checking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts