The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone!! Glad to be part of the site!!

2005 6.0 excursion
Egr delete
Tuned
Straight pipe exhaust

Driving a couple days ago, noticed the oil pressure light dropped to zero and the check gauges light came on. Pulled over, checked oil which was good, looked at oil pressure sensor and seen it was oily. Wrote it off as a bad sensor and carried on. Finished eating, went to crank truck and got a low crank and it started up (15-20 sec) so I knew something was up. Drove the truck home, under acceleration gauge reads oil pressure.
Get home checked codes, low oil pressure at start up (can't remember exactly). Did an oil change cause it was almost did anyway, made sure the check valve in filter housing was good, cranked engine over with filter out to ensure low pressure pump was building, it was.
Got it all wrapped up, problem still exist. Low crank but it will start.

So today I built a gauge that would screw in at the oil pressure sensor location to check for actual pressure. Truck running it reads 7 psi at idle. Most likely bad low pressure oil pump.
Pulled the check valve under the LPOP to see if it had any debris or metal, it was clean and clear.

My dilemma:
Could a high pressure oil leak cause low pressure not to build?

Could a bad ipr valve cause low pressure not to build?

Truck will crank and run, lack of power, which is why I'm thinking high pressure leak. But also could not be getting enough oil to run HPOP due to bad LPOP.

THOUGHTS?!?!
Thanks everyone in advance!!!

This pic is of engine running at idle

Attachments

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
A healthy engine and low pressure lube oil pump shouldn't be affected by the high pressure system. If you had a large enough leak in that system the truck likely would not run at all. Low volume from the low pressure system will however affect the high pressure system as you stated. The minimum allowable oil pressure for this engine is 12 PSI, I believe the switch opens around 10 PSI. Did you inspect the oil filter for metal? The next thin I might check is the oil pump gears and the front cover for damage - usually cause by a mechanical failure like a roller lifter releasing the rollers from the bearing. Wear can be detected by checking the clearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually going on vacation tomorrow. But I ordered a LPOP, gasket, front seal from ford today. So it will be in when I get back from vacation and I will tear it all down and see what happen. Hoping I didn't drop a roller, truck doesn't seem to have any lifter noise or anything. Guess we will see Monday evening!! Lol

Thanks for the reply

1 - 4 of 4 Posts