The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apperantly the truck has been blowing white smoke for a long time out of the exhaust which is said to be normal in some cases according to the mechanic we've seen last.. However there's a constant lag in the turbo. And also alottt of white smoke has been pouring out of the dipstick, the oil cap when its taken off, air filter, and blowing the ccv hose off. We just replaced the starter if that means anything, when we did replace it, oil was covered on it, including the whole undercab. We pressure washed that and the engine to sorta get an idea of where it was coming from, it was spraying all over the engine. And still is. We saw a 6.0 mechanic tonight who told us. The engine is basically blown and that we would be better off backing it down a boat ramp. Wouldnt the truck not be running if the engine was "blown" weve put alot of money into this truck, hate to have to dump more into it unless its worth it. Im very confused on what the next step would be. We've had the egr removed and deleted, its studded also. Any help would be greatly appericiated as no one in this town seems to know what they are talking about. Im thinking it could be a sensor, or the pistons? I cant seem to find any information on the internet of simliar cases.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The symptoms tell me that you have an issue with either a burned piston or broken/scored rings. This is causing the high crankcase pressures and white smoke. A compression test should show where the problem is. An engine may be in your future. " A blown engine" is just a general term for a serious problem. They can still run, but badly as you are experiencing.
The starter has nothing to do with this by the way.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
It could be a lot of things. Bottom end problems are very rare for the 6.0, but they do happen. Pistons can be burned or cracked, and rings can break or wear out. Usually though there's a precipitating event like an injector that's lost its tip and is leaking fuel all the time.

With oil all over the place, does the truck seem to use oil, or is the dipstick still reading full? Does the oil reek of fuel?

I tend to agree with Bob that if its spewing oil from every seal and exhibiting symptoms of extreme blowby then the engine's days are likely numbered. Engines can be shot and still run, it happens all the time. So long as a connecting rod isn't hanging out of the block they'll usually run, and sometimes even then. I saw a dragster once that had a rod hanging out of the block and it was trying to beat its way through the frame. A buddy bought a Chevy truck once that had a terrible running engine. We tore it down to find no rod or piston in one cylinder (rod bearings held to the crank with a hose clamp, and yep, it still had oil pressure), and another where the piston had blown apart and was lying in chunks in the oil pan while the piston pin, still pressed into the rod had cut two grooves down the thrust side of its bore on an uncompleted mission to find the water jacket. A V6 made from a V8, and he drove it into the shop like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 04 6.0 liter with 115k miles and it took a dump today. Your symptoms sound a lot like what mine was doing before my local dealer tore it down and found a busted piston! Its been a bad day for this Ford owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair enough. Exactly what i thought the pistons. Its a bad day indeed. We took it to a mechanic yesterday who said the engine is definietly done. And i know the starter had nothing to do with it. However the fact that there was so much oil covering it shows how much oil is blowing out of the engine.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That's probably due to the high crankcase pressures. The crankcase vents thru the intake into the turbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts