The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Decided to get the 6.0L fixed up in the '05 E350 I bought last spring. So far engine looks clean. Doing OEM gaskets w/ studs, EGR delete, coolant filter, blue spring, and new oil cooler. While they were in there I decided to send injectors out to Warren Diesel and have them upgraded to the 170's with stock nozzles. Also doing 4" full exhaust, Powermax Turbo and Gearheads tuner. Should bring a little life to the old girl.

Does anyone else have similiar mods? Hoping to be around 400-450 rwhp without pushing it too hard. What do you think of my combo?

I know the vans are detuned from the factory to 235hp. I assume this is due to more heat in the tight engine bay, not really sure. Did I go too far adding power? I tow a lot and need great reliability. I Plan on running just a tow tune 99% of the time. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
ARP studs correct?
If you can budget this, fully wrap the exhaust. Less heat under the hood and a better flowing exhaust= moar power.
I would also suggest a full set of gauges.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes arp studs. Definitely plan on doing some gauges too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Done most of the bullet proofing on mine and added a SCT Livewire TS programmer. Fast as hell and I've never tried the Performance setting, keep it on Street most of the time, back to stock setting if I'm afraid someone is going to flash the system if it is in for repair or something and the 68 HP setting if I'm going to be towing my 35 ft. travel trailer. Only change done to the exhaust was a cat delete. Have the coolant filter but the people that did my engine said the lines ran too close to the exhaust manifold and didn't put it on. I wonder if any one has pics they could post of where and how they did the addition on a van? By the way, I also have an 05.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1124 How many miles on yours? Have you had any issues?

I can't wait to see how the '05 runs with the upgraded turbo and injectors.

I've be driving my '98 for over 10 years and love it's reliability. It's pretty peppy with just a tow tune. '05 should be a whole new level.

I know there has to be a few other people on here with modded 6.0l vans. I'd like to hear some more feedback.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Other than burning off a set of back tires.......no issues although I'm looking at having to replace my FICM right now, starts out low and then warms up to the 48 to 49 volts. I can see that stuff with my new programmer. I'm thinking about getting a splitter for my odm so I can run both the programmer for the gauge info and my Scan Gauge II. I guess it's kinda hit or miss as to if it will work or not though. Knowing what I do now as opposed to what I knew in 05 though, I would have found a good 7.3 instead of the newer 6.0. Oh well, until they invent time machines, what do you do. Other than the clutch fan that comes on at every stop light when I have the air conditioner on, I have had no problems that I know of. I have not got better economy with the programmer as some claim (probably has to do with the way I drive it, Ha ha) but that's OK. When you do your coolant filter, could you plz. post some pics? Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll be watching this thread, got a non running 05 E350 chateau with a 6.oh a few weeks ago and will be tinkering over the winter. might just stick a 7.3 in it but we'll see

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello 68merc,
I chose to fix the 6.0 instead of just swapping the good body from the '05 Van onto my '98 7.3 Van chassis. My '98 7.3 Van runs & drives great, but the body is pretty beat up and starting to rust. I bought the '05 not running because it had a good body. After talking with others and doing some research, I decided fixing the '05 might be the best solution. Time will tell on that decision.

Reasons I went that route were the 5r110 trans behind the 6.0 is said to be a great trans. The 7.3 won't bolt up to that trans. Also all the electronic and dash wiring would of had to be swapped from old van to new. This is a pain and I would lose some of the features of the newer van (gages/tach).

Also it seems the 6.0 can be made some what reliable with the right upgrades. And put out quite a bit more power for towing than my basically stock 7.3.

I'm hoping for some more feedback from the guys who run 6.0s. So far, no replies on the truck side. Little disappointed in that, as I know there are many modded 6.0l in the trucks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've had 3 different 6.0 work trucks and all of them had on-going issues even after "bulletproofing". I was running 17000lbs with a service body.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of issues Ron68?

·
Registered
226 Posts
always something, would rotate between injectors, egr, ficm, head gaskets-whole fleet of 6.0's blowing head gaskets every 30K after Ford fixed, Ford doesn't require checking for cracks, Every set of heads we checked were cracked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 2006 6.0L Chateau with 215,000 (90% of that is towing trailers). I did the DP tuner, 4" turbo back exhaust, and a full set of gauges. I replaced all of the injectors at 190,000, 2 FICM's, and it eats a vacuum pump about every 18 months. Other than that, it's been dependable as hell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Modded our 6.0 E-350 last year when we got it. EGR delete, coolant filter, PHP programmed pcm and ficm, Edge CTS monitor, DC power 190 alt. Been flawless for the 15,000 miles we've had it. Modded it before my wife ever drove it, she's spoiled. ;)
It is actually pretty fun to drive, sportier than a 15 passenger van should be. 19.9 MPG round trip 1300 miles last month.(hand calc)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a quick update. Finally have my 2005 6.0L back from my buddies shop. Had Warren 175cc, stock nozzle injectors installed, Powermax turbo, Sinister 4" exhaust, EGR delete, FICM repair and ATLAS 40 tune. Also got three tunes from Gearheads, two tow tunes and their SRL tune.

This thing is an absolute beast on the SRL tune! We build Mustangs at my shop and I feel this truck will hang with a 2010 and older stock GT Mustang. It sounds awesome and is really fun to drive. So far I'm very pleased. Now if it only proves to be reliable, I'll be one happy fella.

BTW... If you need work done on your 6.0L and are in the NJ area, please check out my boy Fred at Miles Auto Repair in Sewel NJ (856) 281-2744 .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update #2:
Van has been running great. Put almost 6,000 miles on it. Had the chance finally to put it on the dyno and take it to the track.

Dyno results:
Fuel only SRL+ tune= 456 rwhp & 780 tq
SRL+ Nitrous (62 jet)= 528rwhp & 836 tq

1/4 mile Track results:
Fuel Only: [email protected] (bad 60' )
w/Nitrous: [email protected] (1.9 60')

It was a very hot and Humid day here in NJ. I only raced it on fuel twice and really didn't have the launch figured out yet. MPH says it should go low 13's with better air and good launch. This was with 30"x10" Hoosier radial slicks in the back.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wish I had video to post. I went by myself and had no one there to video :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wish I had video to post. I went by myself and had no one there to video :(
Did you ever break it? I have a 2005 6.0 now in 2021 and it is stock @ 130K. Runs great but I am assuming something will prompt me to take it in for studding and EGR delete. Have been changing oil every 5-6k and will flush radiator every 15K with Ford Red knowing what kind of beating it is taking.
I have also been looking at removing the belt driven fan and go with a 4 fan all electric array to take load off motor and reduce the annoying clutched fan issues on hot days with AC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts