The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone. Im new to the forum and new to diesels.I have very limited experience with any diesels, but my heart is set on owning one and the Excursion in particular. A local dealer near me has an 05 Excursion Limited with 125k miles for $16.9k. Cosmetically the truck is flawless inside and out but when. It comes to the mechanics (engine,drivetrain etc.) I need guidance. First is the price a good deal? Second, what should I look for when inspecting and test driving? I would appreciate any positive feedback. Thanks! Also I attached a few pics of the truck for your review.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Being its an 05' it must be a 6.0L which have issues. That said the issues can be addressed with time and you guessed it money. Excursion pricing is finicky . I have seen them go with similar mileage for as low as 10k and as high as 23k.
5 questions;
1. where did it come from
2. Is it 4 wheel drive?
3. Have you driven it yet? (and whats your experience driving other diesels?)
4. Has it been modified/upgraded/bullit proofed?
5. Do they have any service records for it.
6. what has you set on a diesel? (If for towing; what are you towing and how often)

1st things 1st, before you jump down the 6.0 rabbit hole you need to research '6.0 Bullet Proofing'. This will educate you on what the flaws of the 6.0 engine are and how they are addressed and about how much. Also what to look for if they claim it has already been bullet proofed.

Listed below is a list of things lo look for from a similar thread-
If I were to go into the 6.0 market here would be the following requirements;
1. Clean CARFAX & clean Title.
2. Must be running and shifting correctly ready to drive cross country. (None of "this kinda works", "you gotta do this", "the batteries are a little weak" or "it does this sometimes")
3. Less than 150k miles.
4. Original engine or a Ford reman, dealer installed still under warranty.
5. 2 owners max, with reasonably complete service records (including from 1st owner)
6. No Rust, Body and paint good shape. No repaint/color changes. No stacks.
7. completely stock or be documented Bullet proofed correctly by a reputable shop (that is still in business that I can call and verify what they did)
8. No lift kits or way over sized tires (all of them are different and none of them are good for the drive line)
9. No rats nest of wiring harnesses or unidentified or dead aftermarket wires.
10. No smoke after it initially cranks from cold, and should crank easy no matter warm, cold, under load or upside down.
11. Interior in great shape, if they didn't take care of the interior then they didn't take care of anything else.
12. No leaks of any kind (including Rad, trans & axles) (I can maybe tolerate a small oil leak if it hasn't been bullet proofed yet and I can see where it is usually parked, spot no bigger than 50cent piece or smaller) If the engine has oil all over it walk away
13. All fluids look smell good (Engine oil, differentials, trans, brake)
14. Check coolant for contaminants (use the test strips)
15. Fuse blocks clean and all fuses accounted for.
16. Check intake condition and seals, then check Turbo wheel condition using a bore scope at minimum
17. If you have enough lead time get a Oil sampling test done (like from blackstone labs)

18. Even after all that I would still probably take to a reputable shop familiar with 6.0s to have them do a full work up, paying 2 hours labor is worth it to set my mind at ease.

1-11 are all questions I ask before I even go look then re verify when I arrive. The others (12-17) are stuff I verify in person and dont ask before hand so they do not have an opportunity to hide it before I get there.

I know this sounds like a stringent list but a vehicle is something that represents a large investment for most people and can be expensive to repair particularly the 6.0. A truck fitting this criteria is not your average 6.0 and represents only about 10-20% of them that are on the road and will not be cheap.
Using this list you are are a more likely to get a good truck and less likely to get a headache. The big thing is to be afraid to walk away, they go up for sale everyday, patients is key. Taking this advice you will have a lot better chance of getting a ride you are proud of instead of an expensive lawn ornament.

Im sure some other members can add to the list. Particularly some 6.0 specific checks.

If everything was in order on the X and it wasnt black I would consider it at that price. I love the old Explursions but I cant justify having another vehicle and the wife wont take for her vehicle no matter how hard I try :brickwall: (She is set on one of the new Expeditions)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being its an 05' it must be a 6.0L which have issues. That said the issues can be addressed with time and you guessed it money. Excursion pricing is finicky . I have seen them go with similar mileage for as low as 10k and as high as 23k.
5 questions;
1. where did it come from
2. Is it 4 wheel drive?
3. Have you driven it yet? (and whats your experience driving other diesels?)
4. Has it been modified/upgraded/bullit proofed?
5. Do they have any service records for it.
6. what has you set on a diesel? (If for towing; what are you towing and how often)

1st things 1st, before you jump down the 6.0 rabbit hole you need to research '6.0 Bullet Proofing'. This will educate you on what the flaws of the 6.0 engine are and how they are addressed and about how much. Also what to look for if they claim it has already been bullet proofed.

Listed below is a list of things lo look for from a similar thread-
If I were to go into the 6.0 market here would be the following requirements;
1. Clean CARFAX & clean Title.
2. Must be running and shifting correctly ready to drive cross country. (None of "this kinda works", "you gotta do this", "the batteries are a little weak" or "it does this sometimes")
3. Less than 150k miles.
4. Original engine or a Ford reman, dealer installed still under warranty.
5. 2 owners max, with reasonably complete service records (including from 1st owner)
6. No Rust, Body and paint good shape. No repaint/color changes. No stacks.
7. completely stock or be documented Bullet proofed correctly by a reputable shop (that is still in business that I can call and verify what they did)
8. No lift kits or way over sized tires (all of them are different and none of them are good for the drive line)
9. No rats nest of wiring harnesses or unidentified or dead aftermarket wires.
10. No smoke after it initially cranks from cold, and should crank easy no matter warm, cold, under load or upside down.
11. Interior in great shape, if they didn't take care of the interior then they didn't take care of anything else.
12. No leaks of any kind (including Rad, trans & axles) (I can maybe tolerate a small oil leak if it hasn't been bullet proofed yet and I can see where it is usually parked, spot no bigger than 50cent piece or smaller) If the engine has oil all over it walk away
13. All fluids look smell good (Engine oil, differentials, trans, brake)
14. Check coolant for contaminants (use the test strips)
15. Fuse blocks clean and all fuses accounted for.
16. Check intake condition and seals, then check Turbo wheel condition using a bore scope at minimum
17. If you have enough lead time get a Oil sampling test done (like from blackstone labs)

18. Even after all that I would still probably take to a reputable shop familiar with 6.0s to have them do a full work up, paying 2 hours labor is worth it to set my mind at ease.

1-11 are all questions I ask before I even go look then re verify when I arrive. The others (12-17) are stuff I verify in person and dont ask before hand so they do not have an opportunity to hide it before I get there.

I know this sounds like a stringent list but a vehicle is something that represents a large investment for most people and can be expensive to repair particularly the 6.0. A truck fitting this criteria is not your average 6.0 and represents only about 10-20% of them that are on the road and will not be cheap.
Using this list you are are a more likely to get a good truck and less likely to get a headache. The big thing is to be afraid to walk away, they go up for sale everyday, patients is key. Taking this advice you will have a lot better chance of getting a ride you are proud of instead of an expensive lawn ornament.

Im sure some other members can add to the list. Particularly some 6.0 specific checks.

If everything was in order on the X and it wasnt black I would consider it at that price. I love the old Explursions but I cant justify having another vehicle and the wife wont take for her vehicle no matter how hard I try
(She is set on one of the new Expeditions)
Thank you for that into! I haven't actually test driven it yet or seen the carfax but the dealer claims its clean. It is a 4x4, bone stock and is in "perfect condition." Or so they claim.

Its been a Florida truck it's entire life so rust is not an issue. I don't have any experience with diesels, but have been searching various forums for the past month or so and have tried to familiarize myself with bullet proofing, egr delete, don't chip it until it's studded etc.

I'm set on a diesel, Excursion specifically because I have a family of 6 and have loved the Excursions since they came out. I want something that will last for years to come but something also to have fun with every once in a while.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can dump few thousand bucks in a 6.0 in a blink. If it's all stock be prepared to dump 5 grand in it. Check suspension, brakes, ball joints, hubs, and rust & rot. Even if it's from FL. I can due a lot on mine but still have dumped some good money in mine when it comes to the engine. I have near 150 on mine. I have a 5.9 Cummins in a Dodge 3500. Injector pump was replaced. 190,000. Whole other ball game. Blackstone oil testing on both with non synthetic ford 5000 max Dodge 10000. Ford gets diesel fuel in oil.

·
Registered
204 Posts
At 150 my seat leather is shot on drivers side. 500 for new leather and my free labor. It was well taken care of but things wear. Seats you can see it's the other stuff you can't see. Thing could be perfect when checked but keep money in reserve for repairs.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Lets us know if you bought it, price seems good to me , even dumping another 5k in it would make you leaps and bounds under any other SUV, have you seen modern pricing of a SUV?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Make sure you climb underneath and look good for rust. I go to Jacksonville /Augustine and see a lot of trucks driven on the beach and most of them never get the salt rinsed out from under them thus get rust. Another concern is flood damage they have had a couple bed hurricanes this year south and north. I saw pics from St. Augustine and on old main street the water was waste deep. And in Jville it got head high on some of the streets close to the river.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts