The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck was running fine, pulled a couple tress out of the ground, turned truck off, went to go start it again and no start,checked oil and it was low so I topped it off aNd still nothing, checked with the the scan tool and the icp showed 261 and the ipr showed 83.89, ficm vehicle power and ficm logic power both showed 10.50 and ficm main power was 49.00. Fuel pump duty cycle said 100%. Anybody have any ideas? I know icp needs a min of 500psi and I know they say the ipr shouldn't be 85(maybe I'm wrong on that one?) please help thanks

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
85% is what the IPR is being commanded to do, not necessarily what it is doing. You IC pressure is too low. How low was the oil?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low level line of dip stick

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
2006 6.0 no start?

That's not low enough to have been the issue. You probably have the typical IPR screen debris issue. Guess you could have blown the STC fitting. One the 6.0 experts will be by shortly. Watch this to see if it is what yours is doing.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Without 500psi minimum ICP the PCM will not command injector firing. Try unplugging your ICP first. See if it starts, if so, the ICP is bad.

If not, the ICP is good, but there's a leak somewhere. It could be a bad IPR, blown STC fitting, dummy plug, standpipe, injector oil seal, nipple cup seal, or bad HPOP (highly unlikley on an '06 though).

The oil being a little low did not cause this. Going from working to not working with no other symptoms to me would indicate an electrical issue such as a bad ICP, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so my buddy that came over to check out my truck, who said it was very low on oil, told me today that it actually wasn't even touching the dipstick. Not sure why it wasn't I checked it a month ago and it was fine. I got new readings today, while cranking the ficm started at 48ish but dropped down to about 38 after 5sec of cranking. The icp was reading 530+ today and the Ipr was the same reaching almost 84-85, so those are now looking ok, but the ficm not so much?...I think? I had the hpop system, stc fitting, rear engine cover and a few other things replaced a couple years ago by ford when the stc fitting catastrophically failed blowing through the rear engine cover, they said it's somewhat rare when it does that, but it did. I unplugged the icp today and the truck did not start still. Not sure what to do next. Thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
FICM volts are definitely a problem, but that's still not the reason it won't start. The FICM would have to be below 30 before a no start would happen. Plus, the thing to look at there, is what is the battery voltage? If you've been cranking and cranking and can't get it to start you've likely drawn the batteries way down, and without running the engine to charge the batteries its not going to get better. I would fully charge the batteries and then check the FICM voltage again, and I'll be its fine. Remember, the FICM can only step up available voltage; its can't create it out of thin air. So, when you have 12+ volts it can hit the 48 volt goal, but if the batteries are only holding say 11 volts the FICM output is going to decrease.

If what you are reading on the ICP is the percent commanded it clearly shows a leak. 85 is max IPR duty cycle, meaning its closed all the time. At cranking you should be seeing more like 20%. Think of the IPR as a controlled oil leak. It controls system pressure by increasing or decreasing the size of the leak. The higher the duty cycle the smaller the leak. So what you are seeing is max duty cycle and its still barely hitting acceptable ICP. There's definitely an HPO system leak somewhere. Pull the IPR and check the screen. If its damaged try replacing the screen and retesting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I had them charging before I last tried it, but I had it sent to the shop today, so we'll see what they say tomorrow yikes $$$$

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
06's were bad to have leaks at the o-rings in the high pressure oil rails, causing them to not start hot. Do you know if those have ever been changed?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I started the truck I only had it running for about 10mins, turned it off, went back to it about 10mins later to leave and it wouldn't start....the truck in my opinion wasn't hot, but maybe at that point it's considered hot?? What do u guys think

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also when I had my hpop system replaced, should they have replaced the ipr? And if so is it normal for that to have failed again after two year...of course if they did replace it?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
If there was nothing wrong with it they likely did not touch the IPR. What tends to kill them is debris in the reservoir in which the OC sits. If it had the OC changed, and they didn't get the reservoir spotless it could easily have damaged the IPR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
no start

the 6.0 needs to build 580 psi from the HPOP to fire the injectors. if you have a scan gauge II you can crank it and watch the pressure build. when it hits 580 it will fire the injectors. also check the fuel filters. top one is easiest to check for fuel in the bowl. Cam/Crank sensor?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They couldn't find anything wrong with the truck, mechanic said they charged the batteries, I had already toped off the oil, and it started, and it's been running fine since, he said he thinks the low oil sensor caused the no start

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
The low oil sensor? Is that next to the blinker fluid reservoir?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He said if the oil gets to low it will trigger a no start, to protect the motor

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
That happens because when the oil is so low the LPOP isn't putting out anything, the high pressure pump starves and can't drive the injectors. There is no sensor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts